• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strictly FUZZ

Lauri Vennonen

Silver Supporting Member
:beer
I need my room. Physicality, harmonics, acoustics. But everyone's room is special, and everyone should have a room. I look forward to learning more/what I can about recording but just understanding one room, any room, is so very interesting

but the kind of understanding that allows one to create a virtual room - that is very big understanding, yes it is; we are coming to need to be able to take our rooms with us somehow. Do we all need to keep a bag packed, by the door? Is there room, in our bag, for our room?

OH man, m ~ or better, \m/ ~ yes, henceforward, thou shalt, when appropriate and with your permission, be abbreviated "\m/" because
:dude
anyway your kind ears and words helped me get up and do stuff today ~ thank you

Lauri, so interesting ~ you're spinning it for fun but that feeling ... I'm working on some things, revisiting things I left long ago and the feeling, trying to sort it out, remember and make work in real time ... really close to drunkenness, or waking up from it and trying to clear away. I won't drag you or anyone over the shards of my broken-glass consciousness unnecessarily, but suffice to say, I have to really think about it and that seems to create the feeling of a drunken mess :rotflmao

... I remember long ago, as I'm sure many have, noticing sequences of major and minor triads contained within whole-step, half-step, or the half-step, whole-step symmetrical scales, the latter being great for dom7b9#9nat13 chords and partials. I used to write lots of arrangements fooling around with that, but it never helped much with my daily bread. But lately - well I wouldn't want to corner anybody but some of the great players we listen to around here are are just beyond fluent in and can improvise with symmetrical scales, weaving in and out of them with the ease of breathing, and that's been an inspiration to go back to some of the things I noticed myself and try to get somewhere new for me.

- it's muddied a bit by the festival mayhem - ahem - so, there's an interruption on the V at about the middle point, stuttering the G# harmonic on the sixth string against open E, and the B and E harmonics inbetween about the second and fifth fret, and then an attempt to work that sound against a major triad sequence from the symmetrical scale. That sequence starts off on a Db major 2nd inversion into implied Bb major with a bend, then a shift and a bend into the third for a G triad 1st inversion, then the fifth in E major 2nd inv. up to imply Db maj, then Bb 1st inv., finally G 2nd inv. into E followed by Db and then (maybe?) kinda folded back down to A ... well taking all those thirds and fifths into and out of tune with the interesting help of the Fuzz Factory (which, sometimes, bent triads are just beautiful with that fuzz) ...

Which - not to imply you share the mental struggle - not at all - nonetheless, for some interesting reason, this is a feeling you never fail to appreciate with particular nuance and depth, Lauri.
thank you I love it :beer

ah dear. never enough time is there
Struggles are very much shared, I presume. I appreciate the feeling because I've come to realize that I need the mess sometimes, it's a sign of mental health to get drunk sometimes in this insane world we live in. And when I allow it to myself, it becomes less tempting I guess. Maybe. The other thing I've come to realize is that we notice only maybe 25% of what happens to us, so when a good thing happens and we notice it, it's worth a few:beer

normal ninja

i'm going to try a friedman mic-no-mo

i thought i'd see if it would work w/ the kingsley & only realized as i type this post i can use it as it's intended to record my chupa

i like the amp in the room & feedback is one of the reasons why. i know even plugins can get feedback ~neural dsp's fortin NTS definitely does it. it seems like the organic feedback from gtr>amp>cab>gtr is a thing though

especially w. my black spiral typhoon

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
Here's my portable room Tim! My spartan lifestyle has left me with no room that can allow volume, so I have my fairly small board, with capabilities I only dreamed of, even a couple years ago. The density and fierceness that comes out of this sucker is frightening sometimes and those who see it are disarmed, thinking it can't possibly do what it does, which always makes me chuckle. Note: BA Tring usually sits where BitQuest is now.

If I had the space and cash and more importantly, the security that I could use it regularly, I'd surely have an amp, but here I am with my little go-anywhere direct-inject setup. Full disclosure: there's a volume pedal and exPed (Tensor) to the right and another exPed (DD-500 delay) to the left, with Spooky patched into my junction box for guest fuzzes and other wayward pedals.

View attachment 277770

View attachment 277810
Where does the radar go in your chain? I’m assuming last?

Stephen J

Asked in the Sunface club thread but SF is my go to forum so..
Considering an Analog Man BART (big ass russian transistors ge) Sun Face or AM BC183.
My Marq Won, Supa mk1 and Sputnik lll, all germanium, are great and satisfying at lower volume but I'm afraid I won't be able to get into the BART volume window necessary to open up the pedal.
Should that be a real concern and if so am I right in thinking the BC183 silicon will be the better option?

Last edited:

ErichA

It's an amazing delay!

I just listened to the Echo Degrader clip. It’s super cool! If I wasn’t already stacking two Strymons (Deco > El Cap) I’d prolly be buying it. Just picked up a Carcosa Fuzz, so I’m going to see about sending that into the Strymons, perhaps with a bit of vibe in front, too.

Gila_Crisis

This is my Nudist Fuzz (Stay Nude Stay Rude).
It's a DIY kit of Pedal PCBs Hyped Fuzz, which is a proper clone of the infamous Boss FZ2 Hyper Fuzz.

This featurs both fuzz mode I & II and the clean boost. True bypass switch, and top mounted jacks.
I got mine as a kit from Musikding.de (for around 60$ with shipping, complete of all needed parts and pre-drilled box). I built it stock, but the bass control, which I tuned to Boss HM2 values to have that wonderful subbass mayhem.

I used to have an original FZ2 back then, from what my ears remeber this sounds the same!

Attachments

ajbergren

Here is the third (in terms of the concept album), but latest (and final!) track on the Electrical Fractals album I've been working on:
Overall, the album takes a look at the formation of the Universe, Galaxies, Earth, concepts of time, space, and other voyages through the human mind. It's been fun, and now that it's finished, I've set the album for wide distribution OCT 2nd- all streaming platforms. This is the first time I've done anything like this with my music, and you have all inspired and given my confidence to run full steam ahead. HUGE THANKS ALL!

On to my next one: ["Not sure what goes here" Fractals] concept album!

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
My wife just left to see a friend for the weekend. I couldna timed it better myself if I tried since this was shipped from England. But this arrived today right as she was leaving! ; I don't hear much about these but its an absolute balls-to-the-wall brain-crusher. And yet its smooth as can be. Ant Macari and D Main say it might be Dick Denney's best creation....well that and maybe the AC30.
Truly though this is a pretty amazing fuzz that is very worthy of the 'ol proverbial desert island. I just wish it came with instructions!:roll.....:dude
20200917_144649.jpg
20200917_144854.jpg

ragamuffin

Silver Supporting Member
A few weeks back I picked up a BA Right Fuzz off of Reverb and if you would expect that it rocks you'd be rite!

It's very chewy-chunky-munky with a little woody-hollow-follow! The gain knob has a huge range from lower gain 6T's sounds all the way to modern stoner/doom. The "low" knob serves more as a "flavor" knob than just a bass boost/cut. I like it about at noon. Turning down your guitar volume knob doesn't really clean things up, it just gets thin/tinny, but fortunately the gain knob's range more than makes up for that.

It's very different from my Marq Won, I'm not sure if I could choose one over the other

ErichA

My wife just left to see a friend for the weekend. I couldna timed it better myself if I tried since this was shipped from England. But this arrived today right as she was leaving! ; I don't hear much about these but its an absolute balls-to-the-wall brain-crusher. And yet its smooth as can be. Ant Macari and D Main say it might be Dick Denney's best creation....well that and maybe the AC30.
Truly though this is a pretty amazing fuzz that is very worthy of the 'ol proverbial desert island. I just wish it came with instructions!:roll.....:dude
View attachment 278736
View attachment 278737
What’s that cool amp hidden with the plant nearby?

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
What’s that cool amp hidden with the plant nearby?
Silvertone 1481 I think it is. Little 5 watt 60+ year old amp with a cardboard baffle it seems, but I love it and it seems ready for tons more action. It loves most fuzz and most guitars and in this particular room, which is huge, it sounds a lot bigger than it should somehow.

ErichA

Silvertone 1481 I think it is. Little 5 watt 60+ year old amp with a cardboard baffle it seems, but I love it and it seems ready for tons more action. It loves most fuzz and most guitars and in this particular room, which is huge, it sounds a lot bigger than it should somehow.
I bet it’s amazing to play and would sound massive on a recording, particularly with FUZZ :cool:
Looks supercool, too.

ErichA

Also, (you prolly already know) that is a Danelectro build for the Silvertone line.

'90s Pacifica

I'm planning to get a tube head to run my 2x12'' cab. I'm thinking around 20-30W so I can break it up at tolerable volumes.

My amp game is not great. Anyone want to chime in on the characteristics they like in the tube amp they run their many varieties of fuzz through? I don't djent and I dislike metal/stoner/doom high gain tones. I love psych along the lines of Wooden Shjips, King Gizz, White Manna, The Heads, Acid Mothers...and I freaking love the Stooges

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm planning to get a tube head to run my 2x12'' cab. I'm thinking around 20-30W so I can break it up at tolerable volumes.

My amp game is not great. Anyone want to chime in on the characteristics they like in the tube amp they run their many varieties of fuzz through? I don't djent and I dislike metal/stoner/doom high gain tones. I love psych along the lines of Wooden Shjips, King Gizz, White Manna, The Heads, Acid Mothers...and I freaking love the Stooges
Wooden Shjips = Fender Twin
KGatLW = Various Fender combos / Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
White Manna = Fender Bassman and Orange
The Heads = Marshall
Acid Mother = Marshall
Stooges = Marshall and Sunn

With that in mind I would say '70's Master Volume Fender Bassman. It kind of splits the difference between Marshalls and Fenders, sounds great with fuzz and with 2x12's's, and you can turn it down to bedroom levels.

'90s Pacifica

Wooden Shjips = Fender Twin
KGatLW = Various Fender combos / Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
White Manna = Fender Bassman and Orange
The Heads = Marshall
Acid Mother = Marshall
Stooges = Marshall and Sunn

With that in mind I would say '70's Master Volume Fender Bassman. It kind of splits the difference between Marshalls and Fenders, sounds great with fuzz and with 2x12's's, and you can turn it down to bedroom levels.
That's great info, thanks so much. I sort of thought the answer might be Fender.

I recorded once in a studio through their Deville (the only professional studio recording I've done). It was one of the highlights of my life. Way too loud for practical purposes, but it was glorious.

Lauri Vennonen

Silver Supporting Member
A few weeks back I picked up a BA Right Fuzz off of Reverb and if you would expect that it rocks you'd be rite!

It's very chewy-chunky-munky with a little woody-hollow-follow! The gain knob has a huge range from lower gain 6T's sounds all the way to modern stoner/doom. The "low" knob serves more as a "flavor" knob than just a bass boost/cut. I like it about at noon. Turning down your guitar volume knob doesn't really clean things up, it just gets thin/tinny, but fortunately the gain knob's range more than makes up for that.

It's very different from my Marq Won, I'm not sure if I could choose one over the other
You had me on chunky-munky.

I would say 30w is a lot for home playing. How effective your speakers are? Bassman sounds glorious at band volumes, I've had an original 65 head and later a reissue combo, I never used those at home though, but if Tom says it works, it probably does.

Another option is Marshall jtm45 style head, there are lots of modern version available with power scaling options.

How about Fender Bassbreaker, that might work as well for you and it doesn't cost a fortune.

Trending Topics