• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strictly FUZZ

So I hope pedestrian recommendation requests are tolerated, but I'm after a fuzz my friends. Dynamic and touch sensitive, can bring the splatt and the zip but is somewhat smooth and sustaining while still retaining hair, more neutral in eq than the sax/snake charmer sounds, but not too much more neutral. Big but clear.
I like a Fuzz Face for this type of sound. Others will have more specific recommendations I'm sure.

The latest from Basidium. Lots of fuzzy lap steel in the second half. Mark I style fuzz with volume pedal and echoplex.

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
Dynamic and touch sensitive, can bring the splatt and the zip but is somewhat smooth and sustaining while still retaining hair, more neutral in eq than the sax/snake charmer sounds, but not too much more neutral. Big but clear.
... no idea what you've been listening to ... but ... have you checked out the Sputnik III? I find it quite neutral in its eq, have two examples of that one, here's the "straight" side, which to me seems kind of clear and dynamic:

and it has the "drift" side which is not-too-wild oscillation if you want that - the soft-touch switches are fantastic, at the beginning here the drift side is being turned on and off - bit of a drop in level when returning to the straight side, or maybe I just haven't figured out how to balance it yet

So I do like this one, and it came to mind first when I read your description ... however it does not feel quite the same as a Tonebender or Fuzzface, which seem to sit differently under the fingers

Greetings fuzz friends, been digging this thread for a while and felt like it was time to dive into the madness... all the fuzz camaraderie is endlessly inspiring entertaining informative...

anyways I'm actually a vocalist experimenting with fuzz... didn't think it was fair for guitarists to have all the fun to themselves :) i use a Cusack pedal cracker to get into the game, then it's off down the unbeaten path...

been trying out lots of different fuzz in recent months (benders, faces, muffs) and have learned a few things... germanium likes my voice way more than silicon... tone benders more than fuzz faces...

the fuzz factory really opened things up for me. robust. here's a taste of where I'm at with that:

i'm heavily inspired by Splatt's IG posts, records, etc and have been using his fuzz list as a guide...

currently looking for a silicon pedal that has all the chunk and texture of the Carcosa without the octave vibe... leaning towards the Spiral FX Brute... sounds delicious indeed!

i promise not to be so long winded in the future!!! stoked to finally connect here :)

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
I love the playing and the sounds all over this thread! I've been reading this thread pseudo religiously for a while now, (I could make a joke at the expense of the satan titled track a bit up the thread, but I won't no sir) and I've learned more about fuzz from all of your words and sounds than ever before.

So I hope pedestrian recommendation requests are tolerated, but I'm after a fuzz my friends. Dynamic and touch sensitive, can bring the splatt and the zip but is somewhat smooth and sustaining while still retaining hair, more neutral in eq than the sax/snake charmer sounds, but not too much more neutral. Big but clear.

My current one and only fuzz is an ssbs buzzz (superfuzz), which is super harmonically rich, almost ring moddy at times, and is the basis for a lot of my makeshift synth sounds. Something to compliment that sound, if you please. Listened to a bunch of those nonts clips up there which are quite cool, and I've always pondered a buzzaround as I'm a big Fripp guy, but also pondering on a lot of these bender varieties, as I'm a big DT guy (you're the man).
I might recommend the black spiral fuzz. I love the versatility this one gives you. very dynamic and responsive to picking. The germanium is gritty and the silicon more smooth. This is my favorite fuzz right now.

id be curious if someone else could confirm this as an option for you.

biffoz

I love the playing and the sounds all over this thread! I've been reading this thread pseudo religiously for a while now, (I could make a joke at the expense of the satan titled track a bit up the thread, but I won't no sir) and I've learned more about fuzz from all of your words and sounds than ever before.

My current one and only fuzz is an ssbs buzzz (superfuzz), which is super harmonically rich, almost ring moddy at times, and is the basis for a lot of my makeshift synth sounds. Something to compliment that sound, if you please. Listened to a bunch of those nonts clips up there which are quite cool, and I've always pondered a buzzaround as I'm a big Fripp guy, but also pondering on a lot of these bender varieties, as I'm a big DT guy (you're the man).
... no idea what you've been listening to ... but ... have you checked out the Sputnik III? I find it quite neutral in its eq, have two examples of that one, here's the "straight" side, which to me seems kind of clear and dynamic:

and it has the "drift" side which is not-too-wild oscillation if you want that - the soft-touch switches are fantastic, at the beginning here the drift side is being turned on and off - bit of a drop in level when returning to the straight side, or maybe I just haven't figured out how to balance it yet

So I do like this one, and it came to mind first when I read your description ... however it does not feel quite the same as a Tonebender or Fuzzface, which seem to sit differently under the fingers
Nice tracks T. All your recent tracks have been quite interesting.

I've been eyeing Sputnik for some time now and it's probably going to appear for me at some point; @cbm has one, so I've had close encounters with it's awesome sounds, but Chris also has a Spaceman Gemini IV, which has both Si and Ge sides which can be blended in cool ways. The Gemini may just be a good call for your needs @Mogo. https://spacemaneffects.com/products/gemini-iv

That said, I've found Nonts to have a certain gravity to it's sound that's fat, yet still on the transparent side and with both Starve and Bias pots, there's a wide range of sounds from fat and smooth, to full gated splat, yet it's not fizzy hi-end splat and it retains that gravity I speak of.

Having played Nonts in the 2018 tourbox, I had a long time to ponder before finally grabbing one and it has turned out to be very much a top fave. Not high gain either and very dynamic, yet fat and quite fuzzy still. At this point, I've purchased 3-out-of-4 of the fuzzes from that Tourbox and want the 4th one too. (Marq Won, Supa MK1, Nonts and Bye Bias Ge).

Last edited:

Mogo

@urQuill Awesome sounds! Yeah, totally into the high gain oscillating tones, very electric violin like, completely in my wheelhouse. Had a trade offer for one a couple weeks ago that I passed on, reconsidering...

@Byknfool looks very cool, apparently it's a souped up carcosa? What do you think about the carcosa as a cheaper simpler alternative?

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!
Jordan Bosstone is ringing out to me. It might be my favorite Fuzz circuit. Not super splatty though. But insanely versatile and can fuzz with the best of em

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Greetings fuzz friends, been digging this thread for a while and felt like it was time to dive into the madness... all the fuzz camaraderie is endlessly inspiring entertaining informative...

anyways I'm actually a vocalist experimenting with fuzz... didn't think it was fair for guitarists to have all the fun to themselves :) i use a Cusack pedal cracker to get into the game, then it's off down the unbeaten path...

been trying out lots of different fuzz in recent months (benders, faces, muffs) and have learned a few things... germanium likes my voice way more than silicon... tone benders more than fuzz faces...

the fuzz factory really opened things up for me. robust. here's a taste of where I'm at with that:

i'm heavily inspired by Splatt's IG posts, records, etc and have been using his fuzz list as a guide...

currently looking for a silicon pedal that has all the chunk and texture of the Carcosa without the octave vibe... leaning towards the Spiral FX Brute... sounds delicious indeed!

i promise not to be so long winded in the future!!! stoked to finally connect here :)
love this!

in the '90's, i'd use either a Fuzz Factory or a Prescription Electronics *Experience* fuzz into a crunchy amp on my "vocals", always with a (limited bandwidth) harmonica microphone.

vocals in this one arrive late in the "tune":

Last edited:
love this!

in the '90's, i'd use either a Fuzz Factory or a Prescription Electronics Axis fuzz into a crunchy amp on my "vocals", always with a (limited bandwidth) harmonica microphone.

vocals in this one arrive late in the "tune":

yeah man I thought I was being original til I heard these 2 tracks- which I adore. Tiny was my grandpa’s nickname so that’s an added plus. I was wondering what you used on these- stoked that it was the fuzz factory! Of course now I gotta check out the Axis fuzz :)

Hey.
I am looking for a Fuzz that is not a Fuzz Face that cleans up nicely with the Volume knob. It could be Tone Bender, Muff (or whatever type)
I am just tired of playing around with fuzz faces. I play HSS Strat into Marshall DSL40C
I find the new kittycaster fx Howard Gee made to he quite interesting for that niche. Not sure whether it was released yet, but it was finalized as far as the build.

I have a bosstone variant (Rotobone clone) and find the clean up a bit underwhelming. I mean, it cleans up just fine for sure, but my ears are maybe just over sensitive to the difference between silicon and germanium? I wouldn't buy one just for the cleanup, at least until I learn something else I don't know based on my limited experience.

Whereas with Howard's new fuzz, I would anticipate a better chance that the cleanup would be a thing in itself to shoot for? Just an educated guess.

yeah man I thought I was being original til I heard these 2 tracks- which I adore. Tiny was my grandpa’s nickname so that’s an added plus. I was wondering what you used on these- stoked that it was the fuzz factory! Of course now I gotta check out the Axis fuzz :)
Speaking of the past I’ve been very curious about what effects you were using on the first Everyman Band record in 1982. Your sound is so modern and groundbreaking in that context. I love your playing on that record man! And every record really...

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
I find the new kittycaster fx Howard Gee made to he quite interesting for that niche. Not sure whether it was released yet, but it was finalized as far as the build.

I have a bosstone variant (Rotobone clone) and find the clean up a bit underwhelming. I mean, it cleans up just fine for sure, but my ears are maybe just over sensitive to the difference between silicon and germanium? I wouldn't buy one just for the cleanup, at least until I learn something else I don't know based on my limited experience.

Whereas with Howard's new fuzz, I would anticipate a better chance that the cleanup would be a thing in itself to shoot for? Just an educated guess.
Rotobone w/Ge switched-on always cleaned up damned well for me, i gotta say.

Rotobone w/Ge switched-on always cleaned up damned well for me, i gotta say.
Yeah that's how I use it when cleaning up, but am actually having mine modded to dual G for the sole reason of cleanup. I understand those well known Si trannies used in the bones are pretty consistent, but perhaps the Ge tranny I have is not ideal, who knows.

The rotaries are tremendous for dialing in any kind of straighter guitar. Lovely control of EQ.

But definitely appreciate your personal report for the sake of the thread. Thanks Mr. Splattoliscious!

In fairness, I am not even perfectly happy with my fuzz face cleanup, so it might just be me, or the brand of treble bleed...

Last edited:

Trending Topics