• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strictly FUZZ

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
Rotobone is insane but cleans up pretty well. Another Bosstone variant, the Monsterpiece Angry Dick v2 is close to insane, extremely fuzzy, and cleans up like a great Fuzz face or better IMO. The Angry Dick v1 is much more like the Rotobone in that it does horn noises and stuff. Its funny how similar, yet how different, 2 builders same fuzz circuit recipes can be. The thing that the Rotobone does extremely well IMO, is the stinging sound on the unwound strings. It can pick your eyes out one second, then sound like a big ol cotton swab the next.

Damn, I gotta bust out my Rotobone now. It’s been awhile...
Me too! Have been in an amp gain phase here recently, and am due for a trip down fuzzy lane! At one point the trumpet was so good I was playing Mariachi type stuff, and Fanfare for the Common Man, with appropriate plate reverb. It's not just the dirty spitty thing if you mess with it. That pedal has a learning curve though, IME.

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
@urQuill Awesome sounds! Yeah, totally into the high gain oscillating tones, very electric violin like, completely in my wheelhouse. Had a trade offer for one a couple weeks ago that I passed on, reconsidering...

@Byknfool looks very cool, apparently it's a souped up carcosa? What do you think about the carcosa as a cheaper simpler alternative?
I had the carcosa but got rid of it. For me it was too piercing at the time. That said, this was early in my fuzz journey and my main amp at the time was a vox. I also was playing through humbuckers more at the time. Currently I have amps that are more neutral so I'm thinking I would probably like it more. That being said I really dig the black spiral. The detail knob works well to dial out the highs that bothered me with the carcosa. The bias knob also allows you to dial in some grit if you want. There are pedals out there that have more hair but I really like this one. I honestly can't say how it compares to a carcosa though since I had them quite far apart from each other. YMMV of course.

biffoz

In the world of Bone, hafta say BA Texsur really cleans up well. Might clean up better than my departed PTD BM GTX, but @basicaudio John has it and could do a comparison possibly?

Reprise of . . . more Nonts, with a little Particle goodness tagging along. This is a piece I can replay too, along with OBNOOD and BLIXFAM, lol. Of course there's always FNORD, but that's an oldie.

Kinda curious about the Spaceman Titan II. Anyone using? @cbm's Spacerocket is supreme.

Last edited:

johnetone

I had the carcosa but got rid of it. For me it was too piercing at the time. That said, this was early in my fuzz journey and my main amp at the time was a vox. I also was playing through humbuckers more at the time. Currently I have amps that are more neutral so I'm thinking I would probably like it more. That being said I really dig the black spiral. The detail knob works well to dial out the highs that bothered me with the carcosa. The bias knob also allows you to dial in some grit if you want. There are pedals out there that have more hair but I really like this one. I honestly can't say how it compares to a carcosa though since I had them quite far apart from each other. YMMV of course.
I’d say that Dr. Samuel Johnson's right about Olson Johnson being right. And I’d like to mention the Black Spiral because it’s got such a great character and is THE Best Stacking Fuzzz I’ve ever played through! It just feels natural going into overdrive. And the N2 setting on its own is just a full and bright sound with excellent cleanup and dynamics.

Empros

i promise not to be so long winded in the future!!! stoked to finally connect here
When it comes to Fuzz, spare no detail. We want it all.... Welcome!

In the world of Bone, hafta say BA Texsur really cleans up well. Might clean up better than my departed PTD BM GTX, but @basicaudio John has it and could do a comparison possibly?
I think the Texsur does clean up a little nicer than the Bone Machine. Both great takes on the circuit, but I think I've mentioned before that I bonded more with the Texsur. Still have it and still love it!

In other news, my new love is fuzz on Synth. The BA Foxton in Octave mode is just wonderful with a synth playing leads. It adds so much character.
The Marq Won is also surprisingly great with synth. It's just a complete fuzzy overhaul of the sound with no regard for any subtleties. Awesome. I will need to post some clips at some point of new stuff...

PhuzzphayzZ

Huge fan of the Black Arts LSTR. I've also been pretty blown away by the Wren and Cuff De La Riva.
that's about the 5th time LSTR has been mentioned now...hmmm. So, that over their Pharaoh? There's about five of these DoomFuzz pedals that keep winning the day, they all bring that wiiiide, tank-link, bristling in every register, bassy af, yet articulate best in class muff thing

checking LSTR before beddy bye

METALSPACER

I also agree with the Spiral guy. I have had the W+C De La Riva for a year or so now, the ULTIMATE toolbox of Fuzz fun. A little intimidating with all the dips switches, but luckily they reside outside the pedal. Can't recommend it enough. And of course I have to give a HUGE shoutout to Tom and his Spiral sweetness. I have 'em all, can't pick a favorite... They all RULE !!! :dude

PhuzzphayzZ

Are things like Pharaoh... which I @$$ume are Muff thingys... are they supposed to have FOUR TRANSISTORS? I keep seeing that they have 'Diode Switches' Ge-Si, and I hear nothing about 4 trannys...

I read that Muff was

1) op-amp to amplify
2-3) two Si trannys
4) output op-amp (to raise back up the Vol)

Also, they keep calling these boxes (incl. Musket and the rest) Fuzz-Distortion, or Fuzzstortion... they don't really call them "Fuzz"... so to speak... (lol, gimme just a grain of latitude here)

Empros

Are things like Pharaoh... which I @$$ume are Muff thingys... are they supposed to have FOUR TRANSISTORS? I keep seeing that they have 'Diode Switches' Ge-Si, and I hear nothing about 4 trannys...

I read that Muff was

1) op-amp to amplify
2-3) two Si trannys

Also, they keep calling these boxes (incl. Musket and the rest) Fuzz-Distortion, or Fuzzstortion... they don't really call them "Fuzz"... so to speak... (lol, gimme just a grain of latitude here)
I find the "fuzzstortion" terms gets applied to any fuzz with a tight response.
When you have a tighter bass response with no flub, it usually means you're cutting low end and tightening up the mids/high end. Which to some is no longer a "fuzz" because the "texture" is very tight/responsive, like a distortion would be.

The Scarab Deluxe and Alter Destiny are commonly called "fuzzstortions" because of how tight/defined they are when playing low note riffage. They never flub out. But the Scarab definitely has way more going on in its textures, than a plain old distortion would have.

To some people, a true "fuzz" is just a nasty swarm of bees, anything "refined" becomes a "fuzzstortion".
All fuzz is good fuzz!

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member

I read that Muff was

1) op-amp to amplify
2-3) two Si trannys

What you're describing, kind of, is an OPAmp or IC Muff. This is an oddball variant that is sought after in its own right (Pumpkins mainly). The "normal" Muff doesn't have a OPAmp.

BUT, trying to say that there is a definitive Muff circuit is a fools errand. There are a million different versions, and every one sounds a little different.

KIT RAE is THE source.

PhuzzphayzZ

I find the "fuzzstortion" terms gets applied to any fuzz with a tight response.
When you have a tighter bass response with no flub, it usually means you're cutting low end and tightening up the mids/high end. Which to some is no longer a "fuzz" because the "texture" is very tight/responsive, like a distortion would be.

The Scarab Deluxe and Alter Destiny are commonly called "fuzzstortions" because of how tight/defined they are when playing low note riffage. They never flub out. But the Scarab definitely has way more going on in its textures, than a plain old distortion would have.

To some people, a true "fuzz" is just a nasty swarm of bees, anything "refined" becomes a "fuzzstortion".
All fuzz is good fuzz!
Can you tell me about the 4 Transistors vs Diodes. Pharaoh, for instance, has the Diode switch, but I read nothing about the 4 Transistor aspect of the Muff thing.

Where have I gone wrong here? Do ALL Muff... er.... 'variants'... have 4 Transistors, or, am I deluding myself with the term "4 Transistors"?

Yes, it's the GAS talkin'

PhuzzphayzZ

What you're describing, kind of, is an OPAmp or IC Muff. This is an oddball variant that is sought after in its own right (Pumpkins mainly). The "normal" Muff doesn't have a OPAmp.

BUT, trying to say that there is a definitive Muff circuit is a fools errand. There are a million different versions, and every one sounds a little different.

KIT RAE is THE source.
I thought the 1969 had the

opamp > 2 trannys > opamp

configuration?

Yea, I'm not talkin bout my childhood 1979 opamp Muff, the one that stole my tone for a decade.

I just don't know what's SUPPOSED to be in a Muff, I thooought it was "4 Transistors"...

I'll spend some time at the KitRae...

But.... GAS is heeeeavy today (lol, "heavy flow")... I feel the cash igniting in my pocket as we speak....

Trending Topics