• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strictly FUZZ

CRWolf

Gold Supporting Member
Any UltimateMuff thoughts? nastier the better, no Gilmour
The De La Riva seems like the obvious answer, but I haven't played one so I can't attest to its nastiness. The Pharaoh is certainly nasty, as are the Sonic Generator and Dirt Preacher by SUF. Neither of the SUFs are STRICTLY Muffs, but certainly Muff-inspired and can get monstrous; love both of those. Put the Catalinbread Manx Loaghtan down in the sleeper (i.e. cheaper) category. It can do the straight-up Ram's Head thing, but the EQ allows it to get pretty unruly as far as Muffs go. My go-to is the BA Alter-Destiny. It doesn't get as nasty as the others, but its versatility is thus far unmatched in my travels.

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
The De La Riva seems like the obvious answer, but I haven't played one so I can't attest to its nastiness. The Pharaoh is certainly nasty, as are the Sonic Generator and Dirt Preacher by SUF. Neither of the SUFs are STRICTLY Muffs, but certainly Muff-inspired and can get monstrous; love both of those. Put the Catalinbread Manx Loaghtan down in the sleeper (i.e. cheaper) category. It can do the straight-up Ram's Head thing, but the EQ allows it to get pretty unruly as far as Muffs go. My go-to is the BA Alter-Destiny. It doesn't get as nasty as the others, but its versatility is thus far unmatched in my travels.
I would agree with the sonic generator as a consideration

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
I just found this while cleaning up:

IMG_9751.JPG

This was my first exposure to David @splatt. I was a bassist at the time, but I went out and pawned my Meucci pool cue for a Westone electric guitar that same day (it was the only guitar in the shop that had a locking trem).

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
Time for me to fess up Tom!! Man I loved Brute since day one, and have def sung its praises. But I had been thinking the bias knob was a fuzz knob and in accordance to the rule of 11, turned it all the way up. The other day I was reading the directions to some pedals including Brute and went, "Bias knob? Huh!?" And promptly threw myself at said knob as me and bias are like blood brothers. It made it a Flaming Moe. As Fire made a Flaming Moe better, Bias made this thing so much better. A few more knob twists to adjust the treble and I turned into a Flame throwing, Fuzz playing Muppet of the highest order. Brute indeed. Sick. Me want Black now :p

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
This was my first exposure to David @splatt.
Tom, that’s beyond awesome. November 1987. Sounds like it was the right moment for you. I wonder who else saw or had that issue? I can weirdly admit that my first exposure to the oceanic ... well, no need to rhapsodize. First exposure for me was an interesting post in this very thread.

I was attending a small college for music in 1987 and i guess was already dividing meagre funds between albums and food, forget GP magazine. Interesting to think about how many questions might have had beginnings of answers if I’d seen that issue, though i remember at that time consciously limiting my input so my little brain wouldn’t explode

right around that time, a dearly purchased copy of A Love Supreme sat in its sleeve for almost a year until it felt intuitively like the right moment - and when that moment came, it was just right - and i still needed to seek help, lots of help, right away, else risk total collapse of mental health, personality, everything really

Torn, on top of that? ya - in 1987, little quill wouldn’t have had a chance

mbabst

Need help...I have Lazy J10LC and my only pedal is a Cruiser Deuce but I’d like to have a Fuzz...would you go with a Dandrive Austin Pride or a Sunface? Which one is more versatile and cleans up better?

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
Need help...I have Lazy J10LC and my only pedal is a Cruiser Deuce but I’d like to have a Fuzz...would you go with a Dandrive Austin Pride or a Sunface? Which one is more versatile and cleans up better?
Both are more versatile. Both clean up better. Around here, both is almost always the answer!! Around here we is Fuzzed. Immaculate. :rimshot
Seriously, though, I haven't tried either. I suspect a Sunface is gonna be quite versatile though.

PhuzzphayzZ

Nerp.

Yerp.
I would agree with the sonic generator as a consideration
I was bein cagey cuz I didn't want anyone stealing my new (Used)... SUPERCOLLIDER v3!!!

ok, so I fell into the DoomFuzz wormhole, watched those Shootouts... SC just kept on delivering the goods in each Vid.

That $300 W+C de la Riva kinda sealed that deal, lol!

ok, so, yea, I just did that.

@Fantastic cook ... ok, you won... uncle uncle
Can I stop now?

Time for me to fess up Tom!! Man I loved Brute since day one, and have def sung its praises. But I had been thinking the bias knob was a fuzz knob and in accordance to the rule of 11, turned it all the way up. The other day I was reading the directions to some pedals including Brute and went, "Bias knob? Huh!?" And promptly threw myself at said knob as me and bias are like blood brothers. It made it a Flaming Moe. As Fire made a Flaming Moe better, Bias made this thing so much better. A few more knob twists to adjust the treble and I turned into a Flame throwing, Fuzz playing Muppet of the highest order. Brute indeed. Sick. Me want Black now :p
So stoked to try the Brute!
Next up on deck :)

I had the carcosa but got rid of it. For me it was too piercing at the time. That said, this was early in my fuzz journey and my main amp at the time was a vox. I also was playing through humbuckers more at the time. Currently I have amps that are more neutral so I'm thinking I would probably like it more. That being said I really dig the black spiral. The detail knob works well to dial out the highs that bothered me with the carcosa. The bias knob also allows you to dial in some grit if you want. There are pedals out there that have more hair but I really like this one. I honestly can't say how it compares to a carcosa though since I had them quite far apart from each other. YMMV of course.
I'm loving the carcosa these days.
this is from my 6am improv this morning:
sorry for the ice pics!
this is carcosa on vocals so it may turn you off-
not the carcosa's fault!
this beast brings me alot of joy.

biffoz

I had the carcosa but got rid of it. For me it was too piercing at the time. That said, this was early in my fuzz journey and my main amp at the time was a vox. I also was playing through humbuckers more at the time. Currently I have amps that are more neutral so I'm thinking I would probably like it more. That being said I really dig the black spiral. The detail knob works well to dial out the highs that bothered me with the carcosa. The bias knob also allows you to dial in some grit if you want. There are pedals out there that have more hair but I really like this one. I honestly can't say how it compares to a carcosa though since I had them quite far apart from each other. YMMV of course.
I'm loving the carcosa these days.
this is from my 6am improv this morning:
sorry for the ice pics!
this is carcosa on vocals so it may turn you off-
not the carcosa's fault!
this beast brings me alot of joy.
No ice picks here . . . Carcosa's on many of my trax.

PhuzzphayzZ

Is Ripken's Bat EITHER a FuzzFace, OR a Mk1.5, depending on how he made that particular unit? I also understand that Si/Ge is per buyer request... asking for a friend!

Trending Topics