• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strictly FUZZ

biffoz

Mikko you're killing me with this, "lowly Fuzz Face" stuff. I love that fuzz.
Haha, sorry man! I don't have a Fuzz Face right now, but do understand the love for them. My comment speaks more about the crazy variety of sounds that come from the Factory, while a Fuzz Face has a pretty limited, but supremely useful, range of tricks. I could use a good Fuzz Face for sure!

I did a couple quick tracks, hoping to show off cleanup, but I didn't really manage it well, cause I wank so damn much; just rolled the volume up and twiddled about. I'll try to do another one that shows the cleanup and settings with a few repetitions of guitar volume knob action.

Most often the Fuzz Factory is my stunt fuzz, but increasingly, I've spent a good bit of time using it as a non-oscillating fuzz and really love the many realms you can visit in those modes as well. Here's a gated one from today that is a happy place for me. It will be some time before I can get a Bliss Factory, but that seems like the move.

And of course, I've been pretty stoked on my latest mess, which just had EMIGRE added, taking it to just over 55min. @fitzo Sorry to do this again, but if you can re-download, you'll have it all. Let me know if you need another solution!

And just because. Hope this is ok @urQuill !!!

Last edited:

Hawkmoon269

Silver Supporting Member
Could any of you fuzz aficionados provide any insight into what Neil Young is using for fuzz these days? I'm listening to "Grandpa's Interview" on the new Return to Greendale album, and there's a fuzz that seems to pop up in a few songs here and there. I'm assuming that Neil is the right side guitar in "Grandpa's Interview" but I'm not certain.

PhuzzphayzZ

I would say there's a pretty strong rule to NEVER call a Fuzz Factory a Fuzz Face, but the deep divide in some of the comments isn't my take on this.

With Stab maxed, Gate and Comp mostly cut, FF and FFF give all manner of Fuzz Face sounds, including glassy cleanup. Gain doesn't matter much in all this, but still brings differences.

@PhuzzphayzZ : Just because FF can do Face-type stuff doesn't mean you should waste Fuzz Factory's superpowers on lowly Fuzz Face sounds. Get a good, dedicated Fuzz Face and use the Factory for it's mighty strengths.
*lol, haha... would never dream of it! FFactory is set to beans 'a grillin', and that's where it stays, haha!!!

*And EQD DreamCrusher STILL hasn't let me get another FFaceGe (GeFFy) yet, even though it brings more woof than I can sometimes handle.

ANYHOW!!!- lol, I should NEVER have suggested using BlissFactory as a FFace, that wasn't my intention, lol. I had just grooved on tri-pedal-reviews Video and saw some "hendrixy thing" in my mind's eye... cosmic man it was!... of course, it was LateHendrix, haha!!!...like 1973 late...whooosh!!!!

biffoz

*lol, haha... would never dream of it! FFactory is set to beans 'a grillin', and that's where it stays, haha!!!

*And EQD DreamCrusher STILL hasn't let me get another FFaceGe (GeFFy) yet, even though it brings more woof than I can sometimes handle.

ANYHOW!!!- lol, I should NEVER have suggested using BlissFactory as a FFace, that wasn't my intention, lol. I had just grooved on tri-pedal-reviews Video and saw some "hendrixy thing" in my mind's eye... cosmic man it was!... of course, it was LateHendrix, haha!!!...like 1973 late...whooosh!!!!
Ya gotzta keep those beans a grillin' Phayze!!!! I truly could use a great Fuzz Face, but my funds are so limited, it's not a priority. I'd probably grab another crazy fuzz before that, lol.

cosmic_ape

Silver Supporting Member

It was more Eric Johnson than Hendrix.

Lax

I had great fun soldering a muzikding fuzz factory kit and it works great !
2 years ago I was in a muse tribute band and I tweaked some accurate and singing tones with this new pedal (I mean I kinda know how it should sound).

Cool news for my setup is that it doesn't need a separate power supply, and at the cost of the guitar volume knob clean up I can use it with my wireless !
It means I can use it live without hassle :)

Empros

Lots of Fuzz Factory talk! That pedal has so many sweet sounds in it. I still remember the "plug-in baby" settings: Gate off, Comp just above 9:00, and then drive/stab at noon. Mess around with Comp/Stab to tune the oscillation...

Lauri Vennonen

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of Fuzz Factory talk! That pedal has so many sweet sounds in it. I still remember the "plug-in baby" settings: Gate off, Comp just above 9:00, and then drive/stab at noon. Mess around with Comp/Stab to tune the oscillation...
Tell me about it. I have the FFF on my want-to-buy-list but I try to push the inevitable past the new year's at least.

friend33

Gold Supporting Member
Whoa, haven’t been over here for a while. Got bit by the bass bug and have been hanging out at TB learning all the stuff I don’t know. (I have 3 basses now, most recent is a fretless - so much fun! :cool: )

I have not had experience with the Elements line in general, but I have the Void (Ampeg Scrambler) and it is excellent. So I would guess the rest of the line is good as well.

Empros

Was thinking about the silent amp conversation a page or two back.
Is anyone using the Strymon Iridium with fuzz? I imagine it works quite well. Might be a nice step up from the Yamaha THR, with more recording capabilities (like actual line out!!!!).

Though today I got to crank up my "real" amp with the Texsur in front. So good!

cosmic_ape

Silver Supporting Member
Was thinking about the silent amp conversation a page or two back.
Is anyone using the Strymon Iridium with fuzz? I imagine it works quite well. Might be a nice step up from the Yamaha THR, with more recording capabilities (like actual line out!!!!).

Though today I got to crank up my "real" amp with the Texsur in front. So good!
No Iridium, but I have been using it with a Neunaber Neuron and Iconoclast combo. The video I just posted about the Bliss Factory was recorded direct.

The Fuzz Factory is my gold standard. Searing soaring ripping roaring. Mine does clean up well so I was able to sell my Sun Face... but I prefer the heavier settings :)

Spent the morning with my Stephen Douglass MK II TB... I use the Leona to boost me into it... I'm singing here so I need the lift...

IMG_6460.jpg

Fuzz is Life :)

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Loads of fun @meaux dacherie. What's your rig there?

I love that Leona - both V1 (more ripping and trebly) and V2 (can rip and has many, many more EQ options so players can tame its high end ). [The high-end never bothered me - feature vs. deficiency for me.]

How do you like Stephen's Mk. II? He is a very nice guy.

Edit: @Empros and @cosmic_ape how do you set up your direct rig for practical playing? Just run audible audio into your monitors (which you presumably could also turn way down)?

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Maxon vs TB MkII (Marshall SupaFuzz):

I thought the Maxon sounded... kinda just... like it? wow
sounds good! but it def doesn't sound "the same" to me. the maxon seems to lack those spread-out low mids, focusing more on sounding similar in the upper mids.
that said, i def do love the maxon void, their version of the ampeg scrambler, and i think those godlyke folks are freaking awesome.

Trending Topics