• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strictly FUZZ

Loads of fun @meaux dacherie. What's your rig there?

I love that Leona - both V1 (more ripping and trebly) and V2 (can rip and has many, many more EQ options so players can tame its high end ). [The high-end never bothered me - feature vs. deficiency for me.]

How do you like Stephen's Mk. II? He is a very nice guy.

Thanks @Flatscan !!! This is the current setup:

IMG_6458.jpg

I use the "Pedal Cracker" by Cusack music to dive into the guitar fx world.
The Leona warms up my signal so I can make the most of heavy fuzz like GE tone benders and the Fuzz Factory. GE likes my voice more than SI, but the Carcosa is very generous and is willing to play. Sometimes I use a Beano boost or Bad Bob at the end of the chain for seasoning. For this track it was Leona, Mk II, Beano & Reverb. I recently got the Fryette GPDI which is doing wonders for me.

The Stephen Douglas MKII is my favorite tone bender so far... it plays with my vocal signal nicely and has a ton of texture. I started off with the Analogman tone benders (1.5 & 4) and they were a revelation... but once I got SD's MKII and a Fuzz Factory I was good to let go of the Aman TBs. Unfortunately I cant afford to hold on everything because I want to keep trying stuff out... Currently on the waiting list for Tim Cooper's De Sade :)

The Leona is the core of my "clean" tone... It really is the centerpiece of my board as it helps me interact with GE fuzz. I reached out to Stephen earlier this year to see if he was in the market for building more V2s. He is very friendly (and a fellow Texan) and said he might be up for it. Once in a while I give him a gentle nudge but def don't want to push too hard :)

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Good stuff @meaux dacherie! I was not aware of the Cusack pedal. That looks very interesting. It sounds like you're happy with it? Are there similar products that you considered?

Texans are very frequently good peoples ;p.

Good stuff @meaux dacherie! I was not aware of the Cusack pedal. That looks very interesting. It sounds like you're happy with it? Are there similar products that you considered?

Texans are very frequently good peoples ;p.
Yes indeed very happy with the Cusack pedal cracker. I was looking at the Eventide Mixing Link but the Pedal Cracker is made specifically for the voice. Strangely I've never plugged straight in to fuzz... I should try that some time...

oooh, is that a Faceless JasmineBoost? tell me tell me, who what how....
Yes indeed :) The Jasmine Boost is far more tweakable than a typical JFet boost... I use it to light up the Carcosa but it can do much more. This is what Tim Cooper said about it somewhere on the web:

"The Jasmine Boost is a signal booster for guitar and bass, employing a unique three stage all discrete JFET design. The boost stages allow the Gain control to take your signal from totally clean boost - using the Level control to push the front end of your amp - up to varying levels of transistor distortion, with the frequency response tailored by the Tone control. There is no hard diode clipping. All dirt is generated by the transistor stages; due to the circuit type and the way the final FET gain stage is set up, it is soft, giving a very musical sounding distortion. The Jasmine is designed to distort only when pushed hard. When it distorts, it does so in a very "amp-like" way. I tried to avoid using that buzzword, but in this case it is true. It is described best as adding some "grit" and it is very much dependent on how hard you hit it with your guitar's signal. You can think of the Jasmine as being an extra valve (or "tube") preamplifier before your amp."

Really cool pedal and the tone and gain controls come in very handy :)

friend33

Gold Supporting Member
Was thinking about the silent amp conversation a page or two back.
Is anyone using the Strymon Iridium with fuzz? I imagine it works quite well. Might be a nice step up from the Yamaha THR, with more recording capabilities (like actual line out!!!!).

Though today I got to crank up my "real" amp with the Texsur in front. So good!
Yes indeed very happy with the Cusack pedal cracker. I was looking at the Eventide Mixing Link but the Pedal Cracker is made specifically for the voice. Strangely I've never plugged straight in to fuzz... I should try that some time...
I didn’t catch the silent amp convo, but I just recently got an Ampeg PF20t to use with bass. It’s all tube, 2x6v6 (the 50t version is 6L6’s). 2 DI’s - one is just after the preamp tubes (has a pre/post switch), the other is off the transformer, so you get the power tubes as well. The amp must have a built-in load box, because you can run it without plugging it into the speakers. (A little freaky switching it on that way the first time! :oops:) So, at night, I’ve been running the transformer DI out into the Mixing Link and using that as my headphone amp.

It also sounds great through the 2x10 cab. For recording, I’ll probably take a signal from both the DI and a mic on a speaker, will be fun messing with that! For playing out - if that’s ever a “thing” - I could biggerize it with the PS-2 and an extra cab.

The amp responds well to drives and fuzz - supposed to be good for guitar too, haven’t tried it yet.

I picked up the Mixing Link mainly to use for vocal fx. I’m not sure either the ML or the PC are necessarily “better“ for that - guessing they’re both awesome, but I haven’t done any recording with it yet, we’ll see. I think I was following both on reverb, and then got a really good offer sent for the ML. ML is a “Mic Pre with Effects Loop”, 65db so it will work with my ribbon mic, has switchable 48V phantom power for condensers as well. :cool:

There’s also this one:
http://sub-continental.com/dd/bodyplug.html

NAD pic:

image.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up the Mixing Link mainly to use for vocal fx. I’m not sure either the ML or the PC are necessarily “better“ for that - guessing they’re both awesome, but I haven’t done any recording with it yet, we’ll see. I think I was following both on reverb, and then got a really good offer sent for the ML. ML is a “Mic Pre with Effects Loop”, 65db so it will work with my ribbon mic, has switchable 48V phantom power for condensers as well. :cool:

There’s also this one:
http://sub-continental.com/dd/bodyplug.html
Wow the D&D looks very cool as well. Thanks for the heads up!
The gain knob on my Pedal Cracker needs to be fixed (still works ok but needs adjustment)...
Before I send it in though I will get a ML or a D&D to try as I definitely need a back-up...

biffoz

Well, here's yet more Vexter Fat Fuzz Factory for y'all, what with all the FF hubbub Bliss Factory brouhaha.

This jaunty one has a blatty start, some brave Comp knob tuning, low thunder (normal eq mode) and Particle sneaking about. There's even a blast of Basic Audio Tring in the last gasp.

Fuzznutt @PhuzzphayzZ did say something about beans . . .

Last edited:

PhuzzphayzZ

Well, here's yet more Vexter Fat Fuzz Factory for y'all, what with all the FF hubbub Bliss Factory brouhaha.

This one has a blatty start, some brave Comp knob tuning, low thunder (normal eq mode) and Particle sneaking about. There even a blast of Basic Audio Tring in the last gasp.

Fuzznutt @PhuzzphayzZ did say something about beans . . .

luuuv it... great spy intro... and then the chords on top...

lol, all your stuff reminds me of russian sci-fi spy haha!! (wtf is that 'ennui' scale you do so well?- it just sounds like you're getting microtones, drrrr, doh...whammy bar? or is there a couple of intervals you groove on? must know!!!)... but, also, that 'Expo70' sense of HighModernity that encapsulates that GreatestDecade (imo @1956-1974)... mostly following the Xenakis trajectory.

Note- all the AvantComposers were pointallistic in the 50s, brutal in the 60s and verrry streamlined by mid 70s (pretty much let's say)

What's the ambient backdrop reverb you got there... not Particle, right? just 'recording verb'?

love at the end- I guess Particle- close behind your fast licks with some pitchy bubble thingys

biffoz

luuuv it... great spy intro... and then the chords on top...

lol, all your stuff reminds me of russian sci-fi spy haha!! (wtf is that 'ennui' scale you do so well?- it just sounds like you're getting microtones, drrrr, doh...whammy bar? or is there a couple of intervals you groove on? must know!!!)... but, also, that 'Expo70' sense of HighModernity that encapsulates that GreatestDecade (imo @1956-1974)... mostly following the Xenakis trajectory.

Note- all the AvantComposers were pointallistic in the 50s, brutal in the 60s and verrry streamlined by mid 70s (pretty much let's say)

What's the ambient backdrop reverb you got there... not Particle, right? just 'recording verb'?

love at the end- I guess Particle- close behind your fast licks with some pitchy bubble thingys
Thanks Phuzzzz!

I'm all about the Mad Magazine Spy VS. Spy series. https://www.peterkuper.com/spy-vs-spy-2

50-60's art and classical music are both huge influences and I strive for furtive, kitschy, drunken phrases, with a side of cubist fragmentation. I think my regular NY Eve gig quit calling me as I got more deeply into the wobbly, drunken thing I love so much.

Scale: I'm mostly about the half-whole, or half-diminished symmetrical scale and toss in a sprinkling of whole tones. I go diatonic as well, if needed, lol. The verb is just my TC Trinity T2 which I'll replace with something like a Red Panda Context V2, or Eventide Black Hole mebee. Particle V2 did all the pitch jumping and delay stuff.

Last edited:

Trending Topics