• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strictly FUZZ

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
While I've been off of TGP, dealing with some stuff, I managed to snag a Basic Audio Beeb-Ah. Last time I played through a real Bee Baa was forty-some years ago, but as usual John Lyons doesn't disappoint. Plus, this one is very pretty.

Here are three tracks recorded right after I plugged it in:

basicaudio

While I've been off of TGP, dealing with some stuff, I managed to snag a Basic Audio Beeb-Ah. Last time I played through a real Bee Baa was forty-some years ago, but as usual John Lyons doesn't disappoint. Plus, this one is very pretty.

Here are three tracks recorded right after I plugged it in:
Nice clips Chris!

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Yes indeed :) The Jasmine Boost is far more tweakable than a typical JFet boost... I use it to light up the Carcosa but it can do much more. This is what Tim Cooper said about it somewhere on the web:

"The Jasmine Boost is a signal booster for guitar and bass, employing a unique three stage all discrete JFET design. The boost stages allow the Gain control to take your signal from totally clean boost - using the Level control to push the front end of your amp - up to varying levels of transistor distortion, with the frequency response tailored by the Tone control. There is no hard diode clipping. All dirt is generated by the transistor stages; due to the circuit type and the way the final FET gain stage is set up, it is soft, giving a very musical sounding distortion. The Jasmine is designed to distort only when pushed hard. When it distorts, it does so in a very "amp-like" way. I tried to avoid using that buzzword, but in this case it is true. It is described best as adding some "grit" and it is very much dependent on how hard you hit it with your guitar's signal. You can think of the Jasmine as being an extra valve (or "tube") preamplifier before your amp."

Really cool pedal and the tone and gain controls come in very handy :)
agreed, really nice EQ!

PhuzzphayzZ

!!!!KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!!!

The'Zilla MkIV Tonebender, 4 clips:

BEASTLY!!!!!

What do you guys think? This thing is breathing FIRE! When I requested TheUltimateMKIV, I do believe this is exactly what I was thinking. wow...

wow

Doesn't sound like our Buzzaround, doesn't sound like a Muff, doesn't sound like DeSade, doesn't sound like...

mm mm mm

4 knobs, 2 switches... cigarette?
So, the 'Zilla MkIV has arrived.

It's shocking.

Much gnarlier in real life than those Vids...

I was honestly taken aback... but... "this is what you asked for" I told myself...

I asked Pat to make it as an answer to everyone going ape over the 'Brazilian', but I had GodZILLA in mind, but, happily, BOTH 'Zillas are represented, haha!

I asked him to make TheUltimateTonebender... like, post-Exorcist 1973... like, as if a rogue assemblyman went nutz one night a created this... this... this...

It is 4 knobs/2 switches of absolute utter annihilation... the fly-paper... the Gating... the oouey gooey... icky sticky... I could barely get a note out, it was like BrerRabbitt punchin the tar baby!!!

I gotta say, it sounds like a Fuzz War a' goin on... MAYBE FuzzMasterGeneral comes close to being the most unwieldy... MAYBE Terminal.... but, today, I made 'Zilla make the Terminal his b****. Yea, I CONSIDERED SELLING TERMINAL. THAT's how f'd up this 'Zilla is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll make an NPD Thread,... but,... I had to let you know how .... I mean... it was like a sack of potatoes mixed with jello running thru my hands, I couldn't 'hold' it, it's elusive, your fingers fall thru the holes of the Gating... absolutely unbelievable TACTILE experience.

sooo flippin monstrous

biffoz

Aw yeah! I loved those paperback books since I was 7. Elaborate, over-designed acts of violence and mutual destruction ha ha ha

I dig the beans track
The BEANS! But are they Big Eyed Beans? From Venus? Thanks Nick! Revisiting Spy Vs. Spy after so many years, I was impressed at the complexity of the art and stories. Mad Magazine was pretty brainy for such a well packaged ode to wackness.

Thalomalo

Dear fuzzy people! I want to get myself a Basic Audio fuzz (my first one). I already own a fuzz factory (mostly using it on gated ‚velcro’ settings) and a carcosa; I’m playing a Gretsch Powerjet/Kiesel Vader/SG Jr. through either a DR 504 or a Pearce G2R or a Mesa .22+.
I love tuning down (C#) but also like standard tuning, using Thomastik flats.
Stylistically my influences range from Crimson-type stuff to Hard Bop to Mancini (with the occasional Helmet, Jesus Lizard or Dead Kennedys thrown in).
Would the Orpheum fit the bill? Or would the Fuzz mutant be more up my alley? Or the Texsur? Or,or,or,or...? (obviously the option paralysis is killing me, but these three were the most interesting to me) Thank you in advance!:)
PS: unfortunately money being what it is I can get only one right now:dunno

PhuzzphayzZ

Dear fuzzy people! I want to get myself a Basic Audio fuzz (my first one). I already own a fuzz factory (mostly using it on gated ‚velcro’ settings) and a carcosa; I’m playing a Gretsch Powerjet/Kiesel Vader/SG Jr. through either a DR 504 or a Pearce G2R or a Mesa .22+.
Stylistically my influences range from Crimson-type stuff to Hard Bop to Mancini (with the occasional Helmet, Jesus Lizard or Dead Kennedys thrown in).
Would the Orpheum fit the bill? Or would the Fuzz mutant be more up my alley? Or the Texsur? Or,or,or,or...? (obviously the option paralysis is killing me, but these three were the most interesting to me) Thank you in advance!:)
Tell me if anyone says I'm wrong for saying Texsur

Nick Wood

I have Orpheum and consider it essential, the other two you mentioned I want.
Anyway, I was thinking if there is a diverse range of musical influence you might want something that can go from practically clean to very saturated and has a variety of tones and textures. Orpheum covers a lot of ground, I love how you can volume knob it from clangy clean to melty fuzz. It kind of blooms and develops harmonics with the fat switch on, especially with hot pickups. It also can put out a ton of level if you need it for other pedals.

Dang, that's a tough call. I'd love to try drop tuning with Texture or get grimy with Mutant. You came to the right place to find recordings of all three.

Turnipfarmer

Curious about lipstick pick ups and fuzz
Danelectro lipstick pickups and fuzz are nice. Some of my fuzzes sound as different with the lipstick as going from fender single coil to humbucker. Third option.

Gated fuzz are extra-gated with the lipsticks.

The guitar itself maybe is playing the biggest role though - never had lipsticks in a solid guitar - always have that killer acousticy zing mixed in with the danelectros, I love that.

Flouncingfleasbag

Silver Supporting Member
Danelectro lipstick pickups and fuzz are nice. Some of my fuzzes sound as different with the lipstick as going from fender single coil to humbucker. Third option.

Gated fuzz are extra-gated with the lipsticks.

The guitar itself maybe is playing the biggest role though - never had lipsticks in a solid guitar - always have that killer acousticy zing mixed in with the danelectros, I love that.
Good point about the solid vs. Semi- hollow. A total hollow guitar sounds crazy with fuzz, for sure.

I'm lurking around market sites for Danos. Heaven 67 and the baritones really have my attention. I love how fuzz sounds thru old Teisco pick ups, I dont know of that's similar at all?

Flouncingfleasbag

Silver Supporting Member
So, the 'Zilla MkIV has arrived.

It's shocking.

Much gnarlier in real life than those Vids...

I was honestly taken aback... but... "this is what you asked for" I told myself...

I asked Pat to make it as an answer to everyone going ape over the 'Brazilian', but I had GodZILLA in mind, but, happily, BOTH 'Zillas are represented, haha!

I asked him to make TheUltimateTonebender... like, post-Exorcist 1973... like, as if a rogue assemblyman went nutz one night a created this... this... this...

It is 4 knobs/2 switches of absolute utter annihilation... the fly-paper... the Gating... the oouey gooey... icky sticky... I could barely get a note out, it was like BrerRabbitt punchin the tar baby!!!

I gotta say, it sounds like a Fuzz War a' goin on... MAYBE FuzzMasterGeneral comes close to being the most unwieldy... MAYBE Terminal.... but, today, I made 'Zilla make the Terminal his b****. Yea, I CONSIDERED SELLING TERMINAL. THAT's how f'd up this 'Zilla is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll make an NPD Thread,... but,... I had to let you know how .... I mean... it was like a sack of potatoes mixed with jello running thru my hands, I couldn't 'hold' it, it's elusive, your fingers fall thru the holes of the Gating... absolutely unbelievable TACTILE experience.

sooo flippin monstrous
That's sick! Glad you got that. Wanna hear it!
I'm #13 for the new run of De Sade v2"s ( Tim just had his baby and getting back to building now) excited to chainsaw that Friday. Also, Seeker has taken on my request for a Fuzzrite/Maestro style fuzz. Honoured.

Psyched for you!

Trending Topics