Strictly FUZZ

Blue Bee

Can’t wait for this sucker to show up. Will be me, this, milkman the amp 100, and a Fano rb6 in the mountains of Georgia for 3 weeks

That looks killer!
How do you like the Milkman Amp 100 and what cab you running it through?

Phineas Ball

Fuzz
Gold Supporting Member
Well consider yourself lucky then that I never post pictures of my pedals.

The only "boards" I use to hold my pedals in place are floorboards, not pedal boards.
Not that I'm all that OCD, but pedals on the floor have a certain nonchalance that I dig. For that matter, y'all may recall my "mad science" pic from a couple of pages back with a tangle of cable spaghetti amongst pedals on a desktop. But.... a pedalboard implies a certain amount of editorial intention, and such slop... such disarray... is an affront to all that's good and righteous in this world.

That Tube Screamer halfway off the edge of the board... that's a sprained ankle waiting to happen. Can you imagine the pet hair webbed in the velcro? >-shivvers! -<

:):cool::D

kinvhs

Well consider yourself lucky then that I never post pictures of my pedals.

The only "boards" I use to hold my pedals in place are floorboards, not pedal boards.
For me it's the desk. I have at least 10 fuzzes on my desk at any given moment. They annoy me around my keyboard and mouse territory but they are comfortably handy as well.

I bought a few pedal boards last summer the first time in my life. I'm yet to put one together. It's always been pedals on the floor.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
For me, boards focus my mind. They force me to think through what I'm trying to do and why. I "pre-build" them on the floor first (experiment with pedal order etc.).

They're also organized and ready to go when I finally get to plug in.

Walking past them is a happy motivator to play.

biffoz

For me, boards focus my mind. They force me to think through what I'm trying to do and why. I "pre-build" them on the floor first (experiment with pedal order etc.).

They're also organized and ready to go when I finally get to plug in.

Walking past them is a happy motivator to play.
if you ever leave the house with more than a few pedals, a board is essential. Great to play on the floor and all, but I need to frequently grab and go. I rearrange pedals all the time with few issues.

Live I usually only use a wa..... occasionally also bring a phase. I have used much larger systems. But find this does everything I need.

swampstomper

Silver Supporting Member
if you ever leave the house with more than a few pedals, a board is essential. Great to play on the floor and all, but I need to frequently grab and go. I rearrange pedals all the time with few issues.
I’ve found that limiting myself to what I can fit on a 24” x 12” pedalboard has helped me focus on which pedals I really want to keep.

biffoz

I’ve found that limiting myself to what I can fit on a 24” x 12” pedalboard has helped me focus on which pedals I really want to keep.
My pedalboard is 12" x 18" and I use off-board volume and 2 exPeds. I have a junction box underneath for patching those, as well as any "guest" fuzzes. I posted my session board a few pages back, which I used for 3 daze of recording with The Lunar Asylum last weekend.

EDIT: pic includes offboard delay . . .

Last edited:

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Fuzzy Friends:

I'm working to equip a "Vintage-oriented" Strat and would be grateful for any and all ideas and views that you might offer per pups, wiring, and perhaps even mods (Gilmour? Others? There are TGPrs marketing pre-made assemblies in the Emporium.).

In a perfect world, the Strat would afford phenomenal "traditional" Strat cleans but also pair beautifully with fuzz.

A TGPr on the Guitar forum recommended that I go with early-60s-esque pups (e.g., 6k - perhaps the Klein Epic 62s; clips of the 69s sound good on Klein's site) and specifically steered me away from 50s-esque pups (e.g. 5.5k).

The early 50s clean tones definitely appeal to me though.

Here is a 50s-esque pup (McNelly Nostalgia) that caught my attention:

Klein/Lollar/Fralin money is probably where I top out in terms of willingness to spend. Roknrofl posted a quality head-head demo of assorted pups in the same guitar. The incremental benefit of Ron Ellis pups sounded pretty minimal. [And the Squiers sounded good!]

Thanks for your thoughts.

Like a friend of mine said a few years ago when I was showing him a few of my favorite fuzz......that's everything that I avoid when getting a guitar sound and it sounds great.

As for the Bliss Factory I bought it thinking I would sell a bunch of my other fuzz pedals if I had one. I haven't sold any fuzz pedals.

I was on the overdrive pedal thing a few years and rarely plugged in a fuzz. Now I'm back into just using the amps about the last six months. I got a Fryette Power Station 100 a few weeks ago and really happy with the results.
I have not had it long enough to give a full review. But it is excellent for shaping the sound. I still feel the speaker cab needs to be loud enough to get a decent sound. But if you want poweramp saturation it is excellent to control the amp at moderate volumes. Basically you can set up the amp for whatever type of sound you want and it gives volume and tone control beyond that.
As some of you know some fuzz sounds best with a clean amp.....but others sound best with the amp overdriven. Having this kind of control over the poweramp saturation is really useful for me.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
Thinking about grabbing a Fulltone '70. What's the general consensus around here?
I dig it, it’s got more bite than some fuzz faces, and the mids knob essentially gives you a much needed volume boost. Cleans up nicely if needed, simply back the fuzz knob down a notch for that. Between that and my Peppermint Fuzz, I’m covered for fuzz faces. I have the full-size Hendrix Fuzz Face too, which is good, but I prefer the ‘70 in the silicon department. It can get mean. And it’s got internal bias

I dig it, it’s got more bite than some fuzz faces, and the mids knob essentially gives you a much needed volume boost. Cleans up nicely if needed, simply back the fuzz knob down a notch for that. Between that and my Peppermint Fuzz, I’m covered for fuzz faces. I have the full-size Hendrix Fuzz Face too, which is good, but I prefer the ‘70 in the silicon department. It can get mean. And it’s got internal bias
That's great! That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I've been curious about the '70 for years. Thanks alot, Axxa!

Thinking about grabbing a Fulltone '70. What's the general consensus around here?
Grab it if it's in reach. (full disclosure- I've never played a Fulltone pedal and have no plans to do so but it's a well made fuzz so you really can't go wrong).

Speaking of fuzz (as if I need to make that segue) , I used my 100% recycled parts and materials Mark None fuzz to add a little edge to the lap steel in this piece. This one is a real rocker.

Grab it if it's in reach. (full disclosure- I've never played a Fulltone pedal and have no plans to do so but it's a well made fuzz so you really can't go wrong).

Speaking of fuzz (as if I need to make that segue) , I used my 100% recycled parts and materials Mark None fuzz to add a little edge to the lap steel in this piece. This one is a real rocker.
This sounds great!