Strictly FUZZ

imguitardan

Just grabbed the OC83 Super Hybrid MK2 (4th from the left). Last Sola for me for a while.
1OHabiy.jpg
I fully admit to having an addiction.
LMK if you ever want to trade one for a DAM Sola MKIV (I have the Blue one).

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Any love for bit crush here? It often gets labeled as "distortion" but it at least equally (probably more) sounds fuzzy to me.

I enjoy my Scrutator and just picked up a Geiger Counter Civilian Issue in a trade (will test it tonight for the first time).

Has anyone gone in for the Red Panda?

The Scrutator really excels at adding texture and artifacts to a clean or boosted sound. Intuitively from demos, the Civilian Issue and Red Panda are more extreme.

What I like about the Civilian Issue in concept is that it takes a deep and seemingly involved effect and makes it straightforward to use while still affording huge tonal range (e.g., 24 preset tones plus a decent control set - would have loved a mix knob).

kinvhs

Any love for bit crush here? It often gets labeled as "distortion" but it at least equally (probably more) sounds fuzzy to me.

I enjoy my Scrutator and just picked up a Geiger Counter Civilian Issue in a trade (will test it tonight for the first time).

Has anyone gone in for the Red Panda?

The Scrutator really excels at adding texture and artifacts to a clean or boosted sound. Intuitively from demos, the Civilian Issue and Red Panda are more extreme.

What I like about the Civilian Issue in concept is that it takes a deep and seemingly involved effect and makes it straightforward to use while still affording huge tonal range (e.g., 24 preset tones plus a decent control set - would have loved a mix knob).
I love this bit crusher https://d16.pl/decimort2 in plugin form. What I'd give for a pedal like that! It certainly does the fuzz thing to sound imho. Scrutator and Frostwave look yum. A mix knob with bit crush is a must, because it's so extreme in the "useful" range.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Big Muff PI, and I am looking at a Band of Gypsy's Fuzz Face and a Littlebear Rattack.
Probably both good choices, just keep in mind that the Dunlop ‘Band of Gypsies’ Fuzz is an Octavia minus the octave up, and not really a Fuzz Face. Still a great Fuzz, but I would rather have something like the Fulltone Octafuzz, which can do that sound with and without the octave up. Even then, there’s probably subtle differences between the two

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
While it's super early, the WMD Geiger Counter Civilian Issue is a lot of fun out of the box.

The many modes (16 total but each mode has a "more aggro" variant so effectively 32 total) afford a huge array of tools.

I'm confident that the Strictly Fuzz crew could find many, many tones of value.

It's more volume knob responsive than I expected. It doesn't clean up per se but the textures definitely evolve in interesting ways and get more intense as the volume is rolled up.

Some of the base tones are lightly textured and underfuzzish. As expected, some are very intense.

A mix knob would be killer. I'm going to see how it does in the loop of a wet/dry mix pedal.

It has huge potential as a "spice" but creative users could undoubtedly find ways to use it throughout a track.

While also super early, I'm also digging the Farm Black Flag. It is a Buzztone-derivative with much less hiss than the Jext Telez-variant that I tried (Si vs. Ge transistors? dunno). I hear no tone loss due to the reduced noise floor vs. my memory of the JT pedal. For $100, it is a great value. Here is a demo released by Farm:

As the demo suggests, it is straightforward to use it as an "always on" pedal on a track. I really dig the light intermodulation/controllable thickening.

The new version has two knobs vs. the one in the demo.

Last edited:

imguitardan

Those blue ones look rad. The Yellow MKIV in my pic has 3 OC84's. What trannies are in the blue one?
"These psychedelic horrors are constructed with the 680k/100k bias network. This arrangement along with the careful selection of NOS NKT OC84N's offer your auditory processors with a rather delightful fuzz tone that is yet very much a fuzz box but with a good deal of liquidity and movement in its tonal repertoire. In other words it's not static in its dynamics or overly clumpy. This effector will handle overdriven tube amplifiers spectacularly well and has a very low noise floor even a high volume levels. The theme of function that I wanted for this project can be summed up as, flexible vintage. To accomplish this I have made two teeny tiny circuit modifications. Firstly, the tone controls treble cap was slightly increased in value to give the brighter side of the tone control a hair more volume thus making the full span of the tone control useful and capable of matching unity with the bypassed tone. Secondly, and a continuation of the above theme, the limiting resistor was slightly lowered in value enabling the MKIV of boosting volume rather than struggling to match the output of slightly hot humbucking pick-up. Subtle alterations that, to me at least, make the pedal a hair more flexible in a modern scenario."

desertrat07

Silver Supporting Member
My first attempt to record something with my MKIV Sun Bender (with 3x Mullards). Signal chain is Sun Bender > Menatone's The King > Fryette Powestation > Mercury 7 stereo out to a UAD Apollo with the UA EP-34 plugin and a couple of different Two Notes cabs. Just a little rambling improv here, but I'm loving the throaty sound of this fuzz.

Edit: I should add that the fuzz knob was very low here - around 8 o'clock when I usually set it at 2 or 3 o'clock.

Last edited:

PhuzzphayzZ

"These psychedelic horrors are constructed with the 680k/100k bias network. This arrangement along with the careful selection of NOS NKT OC84N's offer your auditory processors with a rather delightful fuzz tone that is yet very much a fuzz box but with a good deal of liquidity and movement in its tonal repertoire. In other words it's not static in its dynamics or overly clumpy. This effector will handle overdriven tube amplifiers spectacularly well and has a very low noise floor even a high volume levels. The theme of function that I wanted for this project can be summed up as, flexible vintage. To accomplish this I have made two teeny tiny circuit modifications. Firstly, the tone controls treble cap was slightly increased in value to give the brighter side of the tone control a hair more volume thus making the full span of the tone control useful and capable of matching unity with the bypassed tone. Secondly, and a continuation of the above theme, the limiting resistor was slightly lowered in value enabling the MKIV of boosting volume rather than struggling to match the output of slightly hot humbucking pick-up. Subtle alterations that, to me at least, make the pedal a hair more flexible in a modern scenario."
clips or it didnthappn

PhuzzphayzZ

Of course, if I WAS a FuzzLawyer, I'd be really tempted by ALL of the last years of Macaris SolaSound-DavidMain Tonebenders of any stripe. The Interceptor stands out from last year.... are there even any Demos of all these- oh wait, I know I've checked out all those 'Daughter' and 1.5 variations on their site...

still, I SEE a lot of these SolaSounds but HEAR precious little

TLDR: I'm sure they sound like Fuzz

I remember liking the Demo for the Diablo 1.5...going back and forth, comparing...

PhuzzphayzZ

It may possibly be based on the Mongoose. :dunno I'm not that familiar with those rocket enclosure circuits. (Although, I know at least one of 'em is purple.)

In any case, it sounds great to me in my limited playing time with it so far. :love:
thought i read Mongoose was a....Rat...RM style? 'distortion' instead of Fuzz?

chankgeez

thought i read Mongoose was a....Rat...RM style? 'distortion' instead of Fuzz?

Mongoose is supposed to be a "Rat killer". :drink

Upon playin' the tulpa fx Ahool a bit more, I've found it's a pretty nice fuzzstorion. It gets a bit intermodulated at the upper end of the range of its fuzz control. A little lower than full bore, you'll find a whole lot of tones. It does nice clean-ish sounds with the fuzz control close to minimum. In between there're many cocked wah-ish sounds to be found. I'm not usually one to mess with the volume on my guitar, but works well here and increases the assorted shades of fuzzstortion.

Really nice pedal. Pairs well with the Flatwoods Modulator I picked up at the same time.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom