Strictly Octave Fuzz

Is that the small or Ottava Magus II? Those lighted knobs hand me GASsin but I eventually got OctaPussy instead, and I just can't justify two of the same type of thing like that from CBread... tho, hmmm... no, STOP!!! lol

OctaPussy, for not being the most 'authentic' perhaps, still is the most versatile 8va I've got. There's just more functional 8va there than, say, FT OctaFuzz (tho, that one has like moar ballz...kinda... OctaPussy sure can 'go there'... maybe I never cranked it?)

Fuzz Master General & Terminal are still in my 'what the f do I do with you' corner- they're just so...so... naughty and nasty and brutal... but they sure are nice to have around for 'AllFuzzDay'!

I'm still kinda ancked over the WTF, and now wish I had gotten Texsur instead...

such is my 8va Drama... story at 11
I have the Ottava Magus ll. It’s good at what it does. I haven't spent time with it in a while, (maybe I should). If I was doing it again, I would probably get OctaPussy, which was their evolution of the OM. It's not in my regular rotation, FWIW.

I also want to get the Texsur (along with the Foxton, Bye-Bias, Tring, and Kay) at some point, but I do use and love the WTF on a very regular basis. As in, it hasn’t moved off the board in at least 3 years.

It works for me. Maybe it's amp dependent? :dunno

I'm using a '74 Bassman head into an oversized 1 x 12 cab, with an EV speaker, along with a Visual Sound Workhorse Stallion 2 x 12 combo in a stereo set-up. For pedals.

Also use a Yamaha THR100HD a lot, although that’s more of a straight- in type of amp. But not always.

And I forgot to mention, yesterday I found and snagged this on Reverb, after almost giving up hope. @fishleehooker, don’t you have one of these (iirc)? How do you like it? Does it live up to the hype, in your opinion?

If you’re an octave fuzz lover like me, I highly recommend keeping an eye on the Dusky Amps IG for a release date on his Octomotron/Augustus! It’s somewhere between a Nebula and Tone Machine and it just sounds fantastic!

That is now on my list. I’ve long been intrigued by their Hypatia. This one I will not be able to resist. Don’t have a Tone Machine derivative or a Nebula yet, so this is perfect!

Last edited:

66fuzz

Silver Supporting Member
25 bucks for a Behringer Super Fuzz SF300! Sure, gotta rip the rubber bottom off to apply dual and it don't look as Rad as most super's but the sound, c'mon! I used the savings and grabbed a Chase Tone Purple Stardust - Off the hook man! My Chicago Iron Tycobrahe is now waiting on the sidelines for a tap in lol.

johnetone

I have the Ottava Magus ll. It’s good at what it does. I haven't spent time with it in a while, (maybe I should). If I was doing it again, I would probably get OctaPussy, which was their evolution of the OM. It's not in my regular rotation, FWIW.

I also want to get the Texsur (along with the Foxton, Bye-Bias, Tring, and Kay) at some point, but I do use and love the WTF on a very regular basis. As in, it hasn’t moved off the board in at least 3 years.

It works for me. Maybe it's amp dependent? :dunno

I'm using a '74 Bassman head into an oversized 1 x 12 cab, with an EV speaker, along with a Visual Sound Workhorse Stallion 2 x 12 combo in a stereo set-up. For pedals.

Also use a Yamaha THR100HD a lot, although that’s more of a straight- in type of amp. But not always.

And I forgot to mention, yesterday I found and snagged this on Reverb, after almost giving up hope. @fishleehooker, don’t you have one of these (iirc)? How do you like it? Does it live up to the hype, in your opinion?

That is now on my list. I’ve long been intrigued by their Hypatia. This one I will not be able to resist. Don’t have a Tone Machine derivative or a Nebula yet, so this is perfect!
I think you’ll dig it. Dusky’s amps are really ****ing nice too. The Hypatia doesn’t really intrigue me since I’ve got my od on lock!

LPSupreme11

Too cool of a thread
To stay buried and dead...

Love me some octave fuzz. Probably too late to help @soma with the Octava, but I love that thing for it’s small size, and the fact that you can disable the fuzz, and still use all the very versatile knobs to shape the tone. With the fuzz disabled, you can it use as a straight up octave for a very cool and unique sound, or stack it ala Green Ringer-style with the fuzz of your choice. Awesomeness.

Other ones I have ~

Boss FZ2
Fulltone Octafuzz
Fuzzhugger Phantom Octave
smallsound/bigsound Buzzz
EQD Life Pedal v2
SolidGoldFX Lysis
SolidGoldFX 76 Plus
Source Audio Multiwave
Basic Audio Blender
Mojo Hand El Guapo
J Rockett WTF
Catalinbread Ottava Magus

These are all or can be ‘octave fuzzes’, but sound very different from one another in various ways. Plus, some do the sub-octave thing.

Also, some fold over-type fuzztortions that can get some synthy octave flavors~

Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard
Malekko Chaos
TWA Dynamorph
Source Audio Multiwave (deserves a place in both categories.)

On the want list~

Kingtone Octaland
Caroline Shigeharu
Drolo Giant Hogweed
EQD Hoof Reaper
Function(f)x Gate Crasher
Spaceman Nebula

There are more, I’m sure...

A great want list.
I too am after a Kingtone Octaland and a well priced Prescription Electronics COB

althekiller

Silver Supporting Member
Grabbed one of the new Stomp Under Foot Silver Foxx pedals and love it. Also love Smallsound/Bigsound's Buzzz, which I believe is Superfuzz based.
I found out about the Silver Foxx on the website right after I already bought the Warm Audio Foxy Tone Box, which is awesome, but I would like the gave the octave footswitchable. The Foxy Box is my first Tone Machine and probably won’t be my last! Great sounding octave fuzzes for sure.

bonedaddy

ProctAvia was cool until the switch broke( as they are/were prone to do)
Love EGD Tentacle ...cuz you get to pick whatever fuzz you wanna mix it with
Or alone it’s actually very cool
BA Superfuzz is a great classic Superfuzz ...and a great fuzz with the octave off too
And 1/2 power switch for versatility
Right now on my board is the Dr No TVL Octavia which is definitely the gnarliest of the bunch
Also the coolest looking for sure

bonedaddy

Oh
And I’m excited to try the new warm audio Foxy Tone fuzz
Fox’s tone machine clone obviously
With ...
Fuzzy enclosure
I was gonna say fuzzy box

$tratcat

Not a boutique octave fuzz, but I got a great deal on the EHX Octavix and dig it. It has a hi/lo voltage switch and an octave blend knob that comes in handy. I like setting the blend all the way up, hi voltage with the drive amount just slightly on. Works a little better with single coils though.

cuz/karl

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a ton.
I miss my GS.Wyllie stuff the most.
My current favorite are the Beeteonics Octahive.
I love low octave too.
The MXR Bass octave deluxe is killer.

Trending Topics