String angle between Tailpiece to Bridge & Nut to Tuners

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Mrjoelv, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

This is concerning a 335 style guitar. I've heard that the string angle between the Tailpiece and the Bridge should be the same as the angle between the Nut and the Tuners. If this is true, why? what are the benefits? And what if the angle is just slightly steeper between the bridge and tailpiece?

2. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

I personally like to lower my tailpiece until the strings just miss the back of the bridge. You can raise or lower the tailpiece until you find the 'sweet spot'.

3. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

You'll find you will have to deal with colapasing bridges doing that.

4. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

I've been playing for 25 years and have yet to have that problem. I regularly play with a heavy right hand as well.

5. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

The problem I have is if the tailpiece is screwed down tight to the body the string angle is a bit steep so I raised up the tailpiece for now to keep a shallower angle. I'll try it for a while. I would consider wrapping the strings around the tailpiece but it is gold plated and wouldn't look very good. I 'll see how it works and figure something out latter if it's a problem. Thanks for the input.