String buzzing on les paul...need help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by el nino, Feb 27, 2009.

1. el nino

el nino Member

ok so i it's an r8 gibson les paul (i have it seven years) and i never had a problem with the guitar and for the last couple of days it started to buzz on second fret on lower E and A string,i mean when i hit strings hard it buzzes,but when i'm gentle it's not so loud (almost none).i use 10s GHS Boomers and i didn't change strings since i think christmas (i'm lazy,i just changed two strings that i broke few days ago).

but it's not that it has no tone (that tuk tuk if you know what i mean) like when the strings are to close to fretboard (i keep strings high cause of slide playing) it has tone and you can play the guitar but it's so annoying and that guitar was a present from my father who died couple of years ago so this guitar means to me alot,and i just want to know what to do to stop the buzzing?
    does it needs refreting maybe new strings or nut fixin (none of that has been ever done on that guitar).oh and the closest guitar tech is 300km away so before i go there i just need to hear from you experienced guys.thanks

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Sounds like it may just need a truss rod adjustment. I'd recommend you take it in for a setup. It can probably use one and if there is an issue with the frets or the nut it can be identified.

3. magnido45

magnido45 Member

I agree with XKnight...a truss rod adjust will probably fix the buzzing...but since it is a 7-year old? guitar (given the fact that it was played a lot?)...a good look over by a tech is in order (fret level/fret dress, set up)...and have the tech replace ALL the strings!!!

4. el nino

el nino Member

yeah i just played the !"#t out of her and when amplified you can't feel that something is wrong and i did played alot (and i hit guitars pretty hard),but the guy in my town who's good with the tech stuff said the same thing as you guys (the neck is good and nut fixing could do the trick,and i really need to change the strings :) ) so thanks again i really need to learn a thing about tech side of guitar :)

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

A great resource to learn how to maintain your own guitar and do your own setup is Dan Erlewine's book " How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great".

[​IMG]

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Witthout seeing the guitar it's hard to tell, but it sounds like you may need to add just a tad off reilef to the neck. Is it just the second fret, or do the low E and A buzz on other frets as well?

7. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

If your action is set halfway decent then first put a capo on the 1st fret and then hold down the top fret (22-24) and use the string as a strightedge. How much relief do you have between the 10th fret and the string? This will give you an idea of the truss needing adjustment as the string should be close to the fret with just a tiny relief of perhaps the thinkness of a medium pick away.
    Next check to see if this is the only fret that has the issue by slowly playing chromatic spiders up and across the strings E-1,2,3,4 A 1,2,3,4 D- 1,2,3,4 G-1,2,3,4 B- 1,2,3,4 e- 1,2,3,4 then start the same on the fourth fret, etc.
    My guess is your 3rd fret is a little loose and the fret wire has sprung up a slight amount so you only catch the buzz when playing harder on the E and A. IF this guitar was ever re-fretted and the tech did not pre bend the fret wire to the radius of the neck before setting the wire, it would want to eventually "spring" out of the fret slot. Perhaps they were glued in to hold them back and are starting to loosen. It is also important to use the correct fret wire not only for the exposed fret size, but also to properly fit the fretboard slots with the right width of the fret stems and barbs so that the barbs will bind in the slot properly. You could check the third fret under the E and A strings to see if you can push it back in the slot and see also lf it rebounds back up a bit. IF that is the case you should have the fret replaced properly or see if a good tech could set it back with glue.
    Any chance this is where the guitar frequently bangs against the rest of a stand when put down?