String choice based on tension?

xmusic123

Gold Supporting Member
Just changed the strings on my new stray. Went with elixir optiwebs cause that is what I thought I dug. Using 9-42s. There is noticeably more tension and the guitar plays much worse, so they’re getting pulled out.

I’ve never given much thought to strings from a playing standpoint, only tone (I know, I know). But now I have to. Any suggestions for strings that’ll have lower tension and bring the string height down a bit / starting points for my new journey through the world of strings? No more elixirs. Looking for warm but clear.

agiehler

I use D'Addario NYXL and they've always felt pretty slinky compared to the same size Ernie Ball, etc. Warm and clear is how I would describe the tone. If you need warmer then try pure nickel strings.

Rockin J

Ernie Ball Slinky strings are well named.
I’ve tried a bunch but these are the easiest to bend to me.

BMW-KTM

I do not pretend to have tried every brand of string but of those brands that I have tried, the Ernie Ball Slinkies have the softest feel (in 10-46).

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
Optima gold Maxiflex strings are more flexible than other same gauge products, and I'm guessing they're also lower tension. They're expensive, but last a long time because they won't tarnish or corrode. They come in 9-42 and 10-46.

Trending Topics