String dilemma - uncoated tarnishes in hours

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slide13, Feb 2, 2020.

1. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Some people just destroy strings with their body chemistry.

keep using coated and replace your frets with stainless eventually.

JaiRamana and slide13 like this.
  2. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

A-ha, the perfect excuse to blow some unwanted social engagement off.

"Um, nah, I can't go out with you tonight. I gotta, uh, wax my guitar strings. Yeah, that's it, wax my strings. Ok, gotta go, bye."

3. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

I don't think the coated strings will wear frets out any faster. Hasn't been my experience and I've been using Elixers for over a decade on all my acoustics and electrics.

slide13 likes this.
  4. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Would be rather the opposite, the nylon stocking going gentler at the frets than metal.

JaiRamana likes this.
  5. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

I think that is probably true for the wound strings, but that isn't the issue here. It's the plain strings that I think are harder. They're plated in some way to make them anti corrosion and I theorize that this coating make them harder and wear faster.

But, maybe I'm wrong and the wear I'm seeing isn't that unusual.

This isn't about the coated wound strings....so my title is an inaccurate lead in to the actual problem, my fault on that one. Should have phrased it more carefully.

6. Mark VerMurlen

Mark VerMurlen Member

After doing a bunch of searches today, I think that you're probably right. After reading the Elixir website more carefully, you're right that its only the wound strings that are polymer coated and the upper 3 plain strings just have some type of plating to resist rust. Elixir doesn't say what this plating is. After researching common anti-rust coatings for steel, I'm betting that they use a nickel plating That seems to be a very common method that could be applied to guitar strings. Nickel is much harder than common steel according to the engineering hardness scale, so your theory that the plated strings are more abrasive on the frets than regular strings is probably true.

I also did some other searches and there are several other people that have also raised the issue that they think that "coated" strings cause more fret wear. Just like in this thread, there are people that don't think it matters, but there's enough people like you that think it does that it leads me to believe its true.

slide13 likes this.
  7. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

That’s where my research took me too. I think my conclusion is it does wear faster but not so much so that everyone notices. I’m guessing I can get 3-5 years out of a fresh set of 6105s and maybe it would be more like 6-8 with regular strings.

Ultimately I think I’m coming down on the side of using the Elixirs anyway as I really like the feel and long life and just accepting an earlier refret and possibly exploring stainless when that time comes.