String gage

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cowboytim, Dec 19, 2009.

1. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

I'm in my first year playing. I have a mex-strat and a Epiphone Les Paul that I installed with all new pots and pickups from WCR (betts set). I've got Size 10 strings on the stat and size 11 on the LP. I love the tone and the 11s work well for slide. My problem is I have a hard time bending and such. I saw a video of Billy Gibbons saying he switched to lite strings after talking to BB King. I believe he said he used a mex coin for a pick to achieve better tone. Anyways I'm throwing this out there. Should I just bite the bullet and learn to play with these strings or lighten up a little?
    Thanks for any and all advise.

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I'd try for a little while, but if it just gets too hard, go with 10s on the LP. Pretty cheap to try, just get a cheap set and see what you think.

3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I ran 11s on my Gibby-scale guitars for awhile, but came to the conclusion that any gain in tone was more than offset by sore fingers and that I wasn't able to control the strings as well. I now run a hybred set on all my guitars, 10 - 52. I think D'Aderrio calls them Heavy Bottoms.

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

The more you play, your tastes and abilities will change. I read that Jeff Beck used to (maybe still does) start his tours with 9's on his guitars and increases the gauges as the tour progresses. I started on 10's many years ago and have gone through 11's, 12's, back to 10's and am now using 11's. Just depends how I am doing at the time.

Good luck on your search!