String gauge issue???

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
For years I played in a band that tuned Drop C#(drop D, down a 1/2 step).
I used a custom set 11-54.
I am playing two LPs and a PRS CE-22.

I am no longer in that band but jam with guys and we play in Eb with the occasional tune in drop D or should I say C#. I tried 10-52 but the high strings felt like spaghetti although bends were easier.

Do you guys think it is best to stick with standard 11s and 10s, the light top/heavy bottom sets or just go custom again

It also seems tone is better with the heavier gauges...even on the high strings.

Thoughts????

Thanks!

mazman

Silver Supporting Member
My band went to Eb tuning about 2 years ago, I switched to DR pure blues 11-50 or 52? can't remember top string, but feels great. I was using boomers 10-46.

alaskagrown

I feel your pain... I wish companies made a heavy-bottom 11s set like you mentioned. I've been using the 52-10s for years, but when I tune down too much the highs flab out a little. However, I just got a 27" scale guitar, and the problem was solved!

Yutaka

Ernie Ball makes "Beefy Slinky" set, which is .011-.054 with a plain G.022. That's what I use...

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Ernie Ball makes "Beefy Slinky" set, which is .011-.054 with a plain G.022. That's what I use...

Seems that .022 would be tough to play??? I didn't see that on their site.

So they have an 11-54 set. I think DAddario and Dean Markley do as well. I prefer Snake Oils though. They just seem to sound better than other strings.

Yutaka

Well, here's the set I'm referring to...

c1466c08addb31f35cb61669b20728ff.jpg

It took me a month to get used to this set (I play in standard tuning), but it's not that painful. I feel that EB strings are easier on the string tensions than the D'addario's somehow. I am a small/skinny Asian guy who don't practice any kind of kung-fu, but I have no problem bending minor thirds on my tele.

Jeez, I should get to bed. 5 am here. :rolleyes:

eru

I used Power Slinkies for a while, and I liked them alright. I debate switching back to them or straight up 11s every now and then, but getting used to them just makes playing on anyone else's guitars feel that much more awkward.

If my fingers ever get strong enough to bend the way I hear in my head with an acoustic with 13s, I'll probably just jump to 12s on my electrics just so I can be that much more bad @$$.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
The thing is...I really like Snake Oil strings. I don't find other strings compare....although I have periodically used D'Addario and GHS.

I just can't decide if I want straight 11s or 10-52. Do you guys think the heavier low strings make a big difference in tone?

Yutaka

Since I play Tele, rather thin sounding single coil guitar, I don't know if this would be a good thing on your guitars, but the EB set I've mentioned did thicken up the tone and the sustain on the low E is now just amazing. I wonder, though, on the guitars with HB pickups, this kind of heavier strings may sound muddy? Skinnier string sets do offer better string separation when amplified, I think. The reason I use heavier strings is that I use a lot of smaller voicings, and I need them to sound fuller. I don't really play guitar solos much these days either. It works for what I do.

Brien

The thing is...I really like Snake Oil strings. I don't find other strings compare....although I have periodically used D'Addario and GHS.

I just can't decide if I want straight 11s or 10-52. Do you guys think the heavier low strings make a big difference in tone?

If you're playing in drop D, the heavier low E makes a difference. But my most up to date answer.....buy a set of both and try them. We're not talking huge money here for a couple sets of strings.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Very true...I'll just try em both out! I rarely play in drop D these days unless I have a cover tune that requires it....and remember that is just one string. The other strings stay the same so I am not sure I need all the wound strings so heavy. Plus, I am starting to think I will get better note separation with standard 11s and not 10-52 or 54s.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom