• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

String gauge question

Wayne8

Generally speaking, you probably could go up half a gauge without having to file the nut, right? My Jazz came with 45-100 and I want to go up to 50-105. Having the nut filed by a pro around here means you give up your bass for a week, minimum.

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
If you use a d-tuner or alternate tunings you may want to go the extra step and have the nut work done. If you don't change tunings, then you should be ok. Typically the gauges are 40-100 (light) or 45-105 (medium) with all sorts of custom variations depending on the brand. That said, moving up by one gauge should not require filing the nut. A little graphite or nut sauce wouldn't hurt to be on the safe side and you will need to adjust the intonation at the bridge.

wynsmth

Silver Supporting Member
I've used 40-100, 45-105 & 50-110 on my jazz bass over the years & never needed to work on the nut. You will most likely need to adjust the truss rod, bridge height & intonation.

JM_of_BOFP

If you really need to, all you have to do is put the new string on (loosely - like an octave low) and take a little square of sandpaper (fine) and use the string as a little size-guide. Slide the sandpaper back and forth in the slot with the paper wrapped once around the string.

Should take 15 seconds or less. as long as you only sand the width, and don't go any deeper, you should be fine.

Trending Topics