String Gauge/Tension Chart

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PFCG, Feb 16, 2009.

1. PFCG

PFCG Member

Ok boys. Anyone who is kinda nerdy/techy like i am will appreciate this one.

This shows you what string gauge used for each of the 6 strings on your guitar. This will point out that your High E has more tension than the B in a regular set, and that your A has more tension than your low E. This way you can build a set that has the tension diminish as you go to high gauge strings.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. I was bored, and i am sitting on my couch with some really bitchin bronchidis.
    [​IMG]

2. kimock

kimock Member

It doesn't go high enough for me!!

3. MartinC

MartinC Member

what happened to the 0.012 and 0.0125 on the B string ...

4. PFCG

PFCG Member

I just used the info i had from the D'Addario website as a standard. Most other companies dont post the tension info.

I also wonder about the 12 and 125 for the B string. Because thats what i use. If anyone has the info, ill update.

5. PFCG

PFCG Member

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I find a 12 is a great b string with 9 or 9.5 e string but appears almost nowhere as a set configuration. (??)

7. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

8. PFCG

PFCG Member

Yes Budda it does, but this is based off of D'Addario strings

9. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Silver Supporting Member

It doesnt include pure nickel which have more tension than nickel/steel.

10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Are not all plain strings plain steel? All the same tension for the same gauge or differing alloys?

11. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Ah I must've missed that in the first post.

12. cram

cram Member

Statement - I'm a nerdy/techy sort that appreciates this stuff. Thanks.
    Questions -
    Scale length?
    Have you considered this being applied on a different instrument with even more lenth between the nut and tuning peg?
    Or the length between the bridge saddle and where the ball hooks onto the guitar - think of a gretch with a bigsby
    - I've played that guitar model and I think (haven't technically proven it...) the tension would be less.

13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Ah, musta' missed that part in the first post..or not.

14. PFCG

PFCG Member

These are all tested on a 25.5 scale length guitar, presumably a fender as posted on the D'Addario website.

And actually, you increase the tension the longer the string is past the nut and bridge, kind of like a reverse headstock thing.

15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I think you will find that the tension needed to draw a string to pitch over a given scale length remains consistent. Consider a FR vs trad Strat e string.
    Ever tune a FR from the tuning pegs? Sure.
    Then you clamp it down...no diff.

16. cram

cram Member

I have been thinking through this point - trying to figure what factors are involved.

Tension for a string over a length will be consistent. If nut to bridge saddle is 25 or whatever, the pitch/tension would be the same.

- If I apply a slide (ie - reduce the scale length) the pitch increases with the shortness of the scale; the slide taking the place of the nut.

Feel of the strings or, the ease at which a string can be manipulated in a perpendicular direction is different.
    - if there's a big length between the nut (not locked) and the pegs or the saddle and the hook behind that for the ball, that allows for those lengths to stretch as the string is manipulated/bent within the nut/bridgesaddle portion of the string.
    - locking nut would eliminate that length beyond the nut...
    - the amount of springs or tightness of the springs are also a factor here. If you have less tension holding the vibrato bridge, then bends would pull it forward

So less number of vibrato springs, longer length of string beyond the nut and bridge would feel like the strings had less tension. But that's not the at rest level of tension. When you're not touching the strings and it returns to pitch, the tension is the same.

Anyway - this has been on my mind as I'm bringing a couple old guitars to life - with FR vibrato setups and long spans beyond the nut and/or bridge...

So, maybe I'm a lamen sitting on a bar stool explaining this between sips of beer, but so far those basic peices seem right to me in my head...

HEAD!