1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

String guage - Lead and Rhythm

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JVIoneyman, Sep 28, 2006.

1. JVIoneyman

JVIoneyman Member

I Just slapped some 11's on my les paul and kept 9's on my strat and i have noticed that I like heavy guage for lead/jazz chords, and lighter guage strings for faster strumming rhythm.

How do yuo guys feel? :AOK

2. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

I use 10's on all my stuff for a good mix of both since I kind of am a 'one man band' at this point. It also depends on the guitar.

3. DavidH

DavidH Member

D'addario .10-.46 for me on strats and jazzmasters(and Frusciante i recently discovered),different strings for different things isn't an option for me since i'm trying to play everything all at once in a whirling dirvish type stylee.

4. JVIoneyman

JVIoneyman Member

Actually, now that i think about it, single coils are more stummy then humbuckers. Maybe im just crazy but thats what *I* like to use them for.

5. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I like 12's for lead and, umh, 12's for rhythm.

6. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

11's are my minimum for anything. Got 11's on my strat and tele, 13's on my archtop. I may go to 12's on the strat and tele. I have pretty strong fingers for bends, and the tone is immensely improved with each step up.

7. Rossl

Rossl Member

I use 11's on all electrics Gibsons and Fenders. Stay in tune better (I bend A LOT), more tone, once you get used to them they don't feel heavy.

I used 10's for many, many years before the 11's

8. TiEsQue

TiEsQue Member

The one thing that has been an absolute constant for me is that a heavier string guage always sounds better. I use 10's (GHS Burnished Nickel Roundwounds) live. I record with 11's.

9. bluesmain

bluesmain Member