String height problem

Simto

Hey guys

I picked up my Fano JM6 earlier today and noticed the string height was odd.

They're low at the the first couple of frets but they get higher as it goes towards the bridge. It's quite hard to play and my Fano is normally the best playing guitar i have.

It's something that's happened recently and i'm not sure how to fix it.. if i tighten the trussrod the strings will get too close to the lower frets so i'm not sure what to do. The neck doesn't really look like it's bent either way and the bridge looks pretty low too. I'm sure it's just a small thing i'm missing.

Do you guys know what's up?

StratoCraig

String height is determined by the nut, the bridge, and neck relief (truss rod). If the nut and bridge have not changed, then I'd try adjusting the truss rod.

Strings always slope upwards from low frets to high, that's quite normal, however it sounds like your neck is too straight or even gone convex. Hold down a string at the 1st and last frets - does the string touch all the frets? You should ideally have a small gap, about as thick as the high E string - between string and fret in the middle of the neck. If there's no clearance, you need to loosen the trussrod.

Simto

There's a small gap when i press down on the first and last fret, i think i actually need to tighten the trussrod a bit when i see it.

Edit: it helped a little bit, good enough for now.. but i'm going to try and see if i can get them a bit lower like they used to be.

Last edited:

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Hey guys

I picked up my Fano JM6 earlier today and noticed the string height was odd.
if it was fine before and something changed "by itself", that's almost certainly the neck relief changing and the truss rod needing adjustment.

tighten it until it's like it used to be, nothing to it.

Trending Topics