String Lube?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Red Planet, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

What can I use to stick on em after they get a couple days old and start getting a little crusty but are still good.

What will not rust them?

I use to put a little lemon oil on but someone told me that would make em rust. Is this true.

Crap you would thimk I would know stuff like this I've been playing forever. I use to go through strings often (breaking them).For some reason I dont break em that much anymore and they last me much longer.

What about WD40 or seems I rember something called Fret Ease.

2. Andy H.

Andy H. Member

Don't put any sort of oil on your strings - ain't good for them!

Were you maybe thinking about 'Fast Fret'. I use and like it. If you don't like the lube'd feel they give then wipe it (and the crud it dissolves) off again. Definitely improves string life for me.

Andy.

3. alderbody

alderbody Member

just wipe them with a soft lint-free cloth after every time you play and you'll keep them in good shape for a long time.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

5. Andy H.

Andy H. Member

Actually one main reason I use fast fret is because I mainly play fretless bass, and I like the lubed feel to smooth finger slides along the strings. You get that feel with finger sweat a few songs into a set anyway, but I'm impatient that way. The fact that it cleans the strings really well and helps them last was a secondary bonus for me, but I now use it on all my guitars and basses for that reason.

Andy.