String prep for gigs.

amstrtatnut

I cleaned my strat fret board, polished the frets and applied a little lemon oil to the board. I do this maybe once a year.

The guitar never ever feels as good as when Ive oiled the fret board. I do use fast fret but the result isnt total slick strings, as with lemon oil.

Anyone just put lemon oil on their fingertips or on strings with a rag before gigs? Ive read lemon oil and fast fret both have mineral oil but I swear they arent the same.

A little lemon oil on strings probably wouldnt cause any harm right?

Last edited:

Stratobuc

I don't like foreign substances on my guitar. I sweat plenty when I play, its usually hot down here, and very humid. Sometimes my tech will put a little Linseed Oil on the fretboard, but I never ever would.

monty

I wouldnt before a gig, but maybe try it before your next practice to see if you like it.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
On Rosewood boards I'll oil them about once a year, just so they don't dry out too much. I've never really used Fast Fret products and feel as though they actually shorten string life. I'd rather just wipe the strings down or change 'em. When I oil a board I'll rub it down and clean it thoroughly (French tampon style), wait about an hour or two until it's completly dry, and then restring. Other than new strings, and the super light polish I put on the frets, I really don't feel much of a difference.

cap10kirk

No. As long as I don't have any broken strings, my guitar is gig ready. No oiling the fretboard, or fast fret, or fresh strings, or any of that for me, ever. Beat the hell out of it until the strings break, the replace them and repeat the process, that's what I do.

RRfireblade

You act like Im being silly.
Not really, but as evidenced by the other posts...perhaps unique.

If you gig a bunch, it wouldn't be practical to oil before every show. Oncr a year is plenty for most boards as it is. Plus, new strings are plenty slick enough for me. I've never been a fan of sprays and other things applied either, I just wouldn't want to have to be dependant on that during a show. But if it works for you, like I said...

ripgtr

I cleaned my strat fret board, polished the frets and applied a little lemon oil to the board. I do this maybe once a year.

The guitar never ever feels as good as when Ive oiled the fret board. I do use fast fret but the result isnt total slick strings, as with lemon oil.

Anyone just put lemon oil on their fingertips or on strings with a rag before gigs? Ive read lemon oil and fast fret both have mineral oil but I swear they arent the same.

A little lemon oil on strings probably wouldnt cause any harm right?
I always find after cleaning with lemon oil, a rosewood board feels sticky until you get some good finger grease build up. I clean my boards once a decade, lol, but I will wipe them with a cloth to get some gunk off once in a while. Not every string change. Heck I used to change my strings 2-3 times a week.
But recently I got an H535, it was 15 years old and had some gunk on. I cleaned the board with lemon oil but then put some Fret DR on is and it worked great. I wasn't looking to oil the board, it's rosewood, it is already oily, but just a little bit rubbed in made it feel clean but well played. It is a bit expensive (I think it is really just bore oil, though not sure). But you know, it worked on that and a couple other guitars (I was in a cleaning mood and also cleaned my '60 330, which I probably hadn't done in 2 or 3 decades, lol).
So anyway, the fret dt was , for me, just putting back some of the slickness of a well played board after cleaning it with lemon oil.

Lemon oil is mineral oil. I can't see it hurting the strings. It should interact with the metal at all, I wouldn't think.

stevel

You act like Im being silly.
One of the things I love about TGP is, no matter how hold I get, and how long I've been here, there's always something new.

I "prep" my strings for gigs by changing them. Then I play.

Sometimes, I don't even change them (2nd night of 2 gigs in a row, the set stays on).

I do lightly oil the fingerboard about once a year.

I just view things like "fast fret" as "snake oil".

But this is TGP; either you're worried the fast fret will lessen the resale value of your instrument, or, you actually play the damn thing and don't care. If it does something positive for your playing, and you're not in the resale camp, then use it and deal with whatever "battle scars" you get. Had bass player who used talcum powder in hot, humid, outdoor gigs. His bass's neck had it caked on the back in a solid nasty mess, But it was always in tune when he took it out of the case and he plays it daily and makes a living off it. So there you go.

MartinCliffe

I play maple boards almost exclusively these days, so no oil used there. I bought my first can of Fast Fret ever last year. I've used it about 3 times, I didn't find any benefit from it. My hands don't sweat too much, but if my strings become nasty I'll change them. Other than that I'm good to go.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
I do this nearly every weekend. I always figured Sunday was for wiping off the beer etc. from gigs.
I wipe oil on the strings before gigs too.
Like you said, it feels best rt. after your yearly clean and oil.

EarleG

®
Gold Supporting Member
Anyone just put lemon oil on their fingertips or on strings with a rag before gigs?
I put a little on my strings using a cotton wash cloth with a dime size dab of oil on the cloth. It helps keep tarnish - oxidation, string squeaks minimal
along with reducing drag. I use refined linseed oil on Rosewood fingerboards and it leaves a very smooth surface and darkens the wood.
I got this from Dan Erlewine. It is what oil painters use so you can get it at art supply places.

Trending Topics