String recommendations for 000-15M (reduced finger noise, not too tame)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by thequince, May 15, 2020.

1. thequince

thequince Member

I am hoping to get a recommendation for strings that would be a good match for an all-mahagony 000-15 style guitar.

The original strings which I had on this guitar were D'Addario EXP16 (coated phosphor bronze) and they were a perfect match in terms of tone, had a nice sparkle, and yet did not feel overly bright on this guitar. The sweetness, sparkle, and liveliness were there but these strings were extremely squeaky.

I replaced them with a set of Elixir Nanoweb phosphor bronze strings, which are the strings I use on my other acoustics, however, they sound pretty dull and one-dimensional on this guitar. I like Elixirs on my spruce/rosewood Taylor and Larrivee, but this guitar being all-mahagony needs strings that will open it up.

Playing technique understandably can have a great impact on the level of finger noise, however, my interest here is primarily to hear about strings, which could a good match for this guitar and which are less prone to finger noise.

I understand that this is often a compromise as most strings which have less finger noise also have a bit more tame sound, like certain flatwound strings (I love flatwounds on my electric hollow-body archtops), but for acoustics, I prefer neither too earthy nor flat, but livelier sound with decent bass, complex highs and complex overtones. I understand that all-mahagony guitars can easily lend themselves to a different type of sound, but as I said, EXP16 sounded right except for excessive finger noise I hear when trying to record with them, so I'm hoping there is a different set that would work well.

Thanks

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  2. Irving Pye

Irving Pye Member

I love the tone from the D'addarios...but they tear up my old digits. I've found Martin "Flex Core" to be a fine tone with less squeak and better bending. Try a set of 12's...that 000-15 will have sustain forever;)

3. Route67

Route67 Member

I use Martin Retro Monels on mine, it’s a perfect match for clarity, longevity and feel, but it’s specific to that guitar to my ear - on an unknown 000-15m (yours) its a wild card/ unknown result.

4. Route67

Route67 Member

To follow up: I found the same problem with EXP16 a long time ago and don’t use coated strings anymore, but if you like phosphor bronze, you might want to try uncoated EJ16 D’Addario.

5. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I didn't like Martin Monels on my 000-15M. I ended up preferring the Martin Lifespan SP phosphor bronze strings that came with it. Not for string noise, though- for a warm "woody" sound that doesn't sound dull.

Route67 likes this.
  6. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

You could try Ernie Ball Aluminium Bronze. I found them to be brighter and more aggressive than phos bronze, but they didn't last as long as I expected, given that the windings are a marine alloy.

7. stephenT

stephenT Member

Martin Retros have less string noise, but it's not my choice for my Martin 00-15 which gets John Pearse. I like Retros on my Waterloo WL-12 a lot.

8. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

These might work for you. They're phosphor bronze but with some kind of secret sauce that makes them very much lower tension than other strings of the same gauge (and there is almost the same tension across the whole set). They have a bright, woody tone that I like - not soft or muddy at all. And they are very easy to play.
    [​IMG]

9. slap_back05

slap_back05 Member

I use John Pearse phosphor bronze on my 000-18 and love them, gives a nice even tone and brings in a little of the bass that the guitar is naturally missing.

10. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I switched from D'Addario strings years ago to Pearse strings ( I use 80/20's on one guitar and PB's on another) mainly because of the string noise and friction I was getting from D'Addarios.

I think both brands' Phosphor Bronze ( never used D'Addario 80/20's, no interest since making switch to Pearse) have fantastic tone, longevity-
    But the wrap on the Pearse strings just seem a little smoother wrap on the wound strings- more comfy less squeaky!
    Pearse Pure Nickel strings are nice too, smooth and less tension, just a little quiet for me. ( when it comes to just the all-purpose playing, hard hitting I may do). But sweet strings

slap_back05 likes this.
  11. thequince

thequince Member

Irving Pye, Route67, Bluedano1, Don, Tony, Stephen, Mr Pinter, and slap_back05,

Thank you! I appreciate your advice.

A lot of good strings to try! As there were couple recommendations about John Pearse PBs, and as I was already leaning toward these based on their sound on some youtube videos I ran into, now that I know that they are not as squeaky as the original set I had on this guitar, I think I will try these first.

Thanks again!