String Recommendations for Acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by TonyV, Jan 17, 2008.

1. TonyV

TonyV Member

Looking for string recommendations for:

Gibson Advanced Jumbo

Old Guild F20 (smaller size acoustic, I string it with XLight guage, I do not think I can put heavier on it.)

Not interested in Elixers

Thanks

2. Stubee

Stubee Member

TonyV, I have an Advanced Jumbo, it wears & loves D'Addario J-17s (Mediums/13s). They work for me. It is certainly designed to take 'em.

I had a mid-'70s F30, played D'Ad lights/12s on it. I use the same on my Gibson LG-1 & LG-2. I'm not sure what the F-20 is, but if it's regular "small bout" size like the above, I'd figure it could handle lights just fine if it's structurally sound. My little Gibsons are a '53 & a '62.

3. TonyV

TonyV Member

Thanks

My Guild is small like a Martin 00, I think the model number is F20. It appears to have been previously ownded by either Willie Nelson or Richie Havens ;)
    It is my knockaround guitar

4. tommyg

tommyg Member

I used Gibson J-200 medium gauge (.12 - .52) strings on my Gibson J-185 EC and they were very nice! They lasted long and had a great tone - especially for fingerpicking. The only thing I sturggled with was that since the guitar has maple back & sides the low E-string was not sustaining enough for me so I switched to John Pearse Bluegrass strings (.12 - .56) and haven't looked back.

5. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

For me, the only strings that I've found that I consistently like are John Pearse phosphor bronze lights.

6. TonyV

TonyV Member

Thanks guys
    I will search John Pearse out, I had not heard of that brand.

7. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Another option for the small Guild - Martin MSP4050 's 11-15-23-32-42-52.

8. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    I've been playing acoustic guitar for nearly 50 years... have used a lot of strings... current favorites are DR rare bronze... the initial 'bright' stage is very short, the next phase (my favorite!) stays for a long time. Good luck!

9. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

I'm a career guitarist 36 years now. I'm an electric player by trade but I've done stints of acoustic duties on the road as a sideman of up to 8 years long. After averaging all the pros and cons between the zillion choices, I always go back to plain old D'Addario EJ-16 phosphor bronze. Whatever you choose, make sure you don't "overstring" your guitar. A lot of players I know think bigger string = better tone. Sometimes just the opposite if you exceed the tension the guitar wants to feel to resonate properly.

10. Uniphasian

Uniphasian Member

11. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

John Pearse all the way for my acoustic gits