String Recommendations for Acoustic?

TonyV

Looking for string recommendations for:

Gibson Advanced Jumbo

Old Guild F20 (smaller size acoustic, I string it with XLight guage, I do not think I can put heavier on it.)

Not interested in Elixers

Thanks

Stubee

TonyV, I have an Advanced Jumbo, it wears & loves D'Addario J-17s (Mediums/13s). They work for me. It is certainly designed to take 'em.

I had a mid-'70s F30, played D'Ad lights/12s on it. I use the same on my Gibson LG-1 & LG-2. I'm not sure what the F-20 is, but if it's regular "small bout" size like the above, I'd figure it could handle lights just fine if it's structurally sound. My little Gibsons are a '53 & a '62.

TonyV

TonyV, I have an Advanced Jumbo, it wears & loves D'Addario J-17s (Mediums/13s). They work for me. It is certainly designed to take 'em.

I had a mid-'70s F30, played D'Ad lights/12s on it. I use the same on my Gibson LG-1 & LG-2. I'm not sure what the F-20 is, but if it's regular "small bout" size like the above, I'd figure it could handle lights just fine if it's structurally sound. My little Gibsons are a '53 & a '62.

Thanks

My Guild is small like a Martin 00, I think the model number is F20. It appears to have been previously ownded by either Willie Nelson or Richie Havens ;)
It is my knockaround guitar

tommyg

I used Gibson J-200 medium gauge (.12 - .52) strings on my Gibson J-185 EC and they were very nice! They lasted long and had a great tone - especially for fingerpicking. The only thing I sturggled with was that since the guitar has maple back & sides the low E-string was not sustaining enough for me so I switched to John Pearse Bluegrass strings (.12 - .56) and haven't looked back.

Da5Id

For me, the only strings that I've found that I consistently like are John Pearse phosphor bronze lights.

JSeth

I've been playing acoustic guitar for nearly 50 years... have used a lot of strings... current favorites are DR rare bronze... the initial 'bright' stage is very short, the next phase (my favorite!) stays for a long time. Good luck!

Ulysses

I'm a career guitarist 36 years now. I'm an electric player by trade but I've done stints of acoustic duties on the road as a sideman of up to 8 years long. After averaging all the pros and cons between the zillion choices, I always go back to plain old D'Addario EJ-16 phosphor bronze. Whatever you choose, make sure you don't "overstring" your guitar. A lot of players I know think bigger string = better tone. Sometimes just the opposite if you exceed the tension the guitar wants to feel to resonate properly.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom