String stiffness 22 v 24 fret guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mikeller, Apr 17, 2016.

1. mikeller

mikeller Member

Given exact same scale length and string gauges/maker etc - is there generally a tension or stiffness difference on 22 v 24 fret guitars?

2. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

If the two guitars are otherwise identical there shouldn't be.

3. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Nope. Difference would be location of neck pickup

ibis likes this.
  4. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

5. mikeller

mikeller Member

Thanks! I have a EBMM Majesty that for some reason just feels stiffer than my other EBMM guitars. I use 9.5-44's on all my guitars and keep them set up a close to the same as possible. Its to the point where I think maybe that guitar might work better for me and balance the feel with 9's

6. Brian N

Brian N Member

I notice the same thing on my guitars. I have 3 with the same scale length, same strings, two of them are even the same base model (SG), but the tension is different. I throw my guess at 3 things. Either different batches of strings have slightly different feels, there are slight differences in the action, or the guitars have slightly different flexibility especially on their necks (a softer neck lets the strings bend easier). Not sure which is it (if any of them)

7. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Vendor

Action, relief and nut height are the main contributors to stiff or loose feeling when comparing guitars of the same scale with same strings. The other variable is a trem if the guitar has one. Floating trems will make guitars feel a bit looser since as you bend the string the trem will normally lift up since you're increasing the tension as you bend and the trem is set to balance at a lower tension. If the trems are dive only (typical of EBMM Floyded guitars) then the spring tension also comes into play since it's not used to balance the trem, but just keep it on the body when at rest. If you have it set up where the springs just barley keep the trem flat on the body at rest and a slight bend lifts it up that will feel looser than if you set the tension on the springs higher so that bends don't lift the trem up at all.

8. mikeller

mikeller Member

Mine are all standard Music Man trem's (ie no floyd models) and all set to float. I may need to visit the relief and action again, perhaps its time to do a season tweak. Or maybe just play it more often :)

Thank all, much appreciative of the comments