1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

String Tension Kit - No drilling the body of your gibson when installing a Bigsby

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cjtowner, Feb 16, 2009.

1. cjtowner

cjtowner Member

String Tension Kit - No drilling the body of your gibson when installing a Bigsby
    View site >>> http://abigproduction.us/_bckup/tsite/index.html

Currently shopping around for a manufacturer. I am anxious to find out what anyone would have to say about this kit. It should be inexpensive and is very easy to install. Email any comments or questions you have, they will be appreciated.

**These images only have the prototype. The kit will look better than it does here.

I have invented a kit that alleviates the hollowbody Gibson guitarist from drilling holes in the body of the guitar when installing a Bigsby vibrato.

The String Tension Kit is mounted in place of of the stop tailpiece with the existing bolt holes. Rested over the strings, and applying the necessary down tension needed per the height adjustment of the bolts.

The String Tension Kit can be adjusted to whatever height you want and or need to accommodate the action of your strings & bridge height. It can be canted, per the adjustment of the bolts, so there is an even amount of tension over the strings.

-Thank You
    Christian

2. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Slick idea. I did something similar with a cabinet drawer handle to install a 'bigsby style' tailpiece that lacked a tension bar onto a slab body Epiphone Special II. Needless to say my install was not nearly as neat and clean.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

2 thoughts:
    Aren't there already no-hole Bigsby kits?
    Non-roller tension bar Bigbsy installations are really unstable for tuning.

4. cjtowner

cjtowner Member

yeah, there are other kits. there is a sleeve over the bar. this kit is great because you
    can fine tune the tension for ANY setup and it's so simple to use. you don't need to put
    a hell of a lot of tension on your strings either. it also has sustained my tuning.

and oh yeah.., it rolls when string are active.

5. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

Damn, that's an incredible idea. I've got a 2002 R9 and I've wanted to get a Bigsby on it for sometime, but I've been hesitant because I don't want to devalue the guitar. This looks like the perfect solution.

6. cjtowner

cjtowner Member

send me your email and info and i will email you as soon as i get the first batch in.

good tunes brutha'! stop by here >>> http://www.myspace.com/thechristianjames

you going to sxsw??? i'm headin' out on the 13th of march.

7. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

argh, a few months too late for me. I just had a bigsby put on my 335.

I love it by the way, but the empty bolt holes look kinda dumb. I plugged em with some little black plastic hole covers, but still looks a little hokey.

8. cjtowner

cjtowner Member

sorry man... that's why i made this thing... i couldn't bring myself to putting a B7 on there... it's late and all but you could put it on just for looks or bypass the roll bar on
    the B7... it's just a suggestion, not trying to sell you... i hate the look of those things
    empty like that...

9. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

don't you still have to drill holes in the end of the guitar?

10. cjtowner

cjtowner Member

yes. and there are other kits that will accommodate that but they have their cons as
    well as them being a lot more expensive that this kit. drilling into the tail block will not
    affect the tone or sound if done properly. your drilling into a block back there.

the pros with this kit are:
    • inexpensive
    • you can 'cant' and fine tuning to the setup (action, height of bridge, etc...) you have that no other kit has.
    • and last but not least, you don't have to drill the body and leave two empty holes!

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I found the pdf this time and see the sleeved bar, now. If that is not sticky and you can demonstrate the effectiveness, it looks promising, all right! A bit of a niche market but, good luck.

12. pen15

pen15 Member