1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

String Thickness Dilemma

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Conisewer, May 16, 2011.

1. Conisewer

Conisewer Member

So I have my guitar set up just how I like it - Low action, and the neck as straight as it'll go. And it plays great. But the issue is some buzzing on the upper frets and open strings (when you really hit 'em hard). I tried tweaking the truss rod to fix it, and got nothin'. I've run into this issue before, and I know it is the low-tension of the 9's I use. I know that I could solve the buzzing by just putting a set of 10's on, but I really love my 9's.

Sooooo, what could I do? Should I try and 9 1/2 set? Is there a certain brand that may have more tension to 'em (I know this is unlikely, but I heard some guy say that GHS Boomers "have more tension")? Would top wrapping maybe increase the tension? I am currently using EB Super Slinkys on a Les Paul scale guitar.

2. Bro.Twang

Bro.Twang Member

Is it something that tinkering with the saddles would change it.

3. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Member

Sounds like you either need to raise the action or get your frets leveled. I personally can't play on 9's (too slinky) but I'm sure that any guitar when properly set up can be played with them.

4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

Do you notice it when playing through a dirty tube amp?
    Sometimes a little fret buzz disappears.

5. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

I would agree, just raise the saddles.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

9s, low action, no buzz when hit hard: you get to pick two.

7. xroads

xroads Member

+1.

My suggestion: give the 9.5 strings a try. I use them on all my guitars that have the Fender scale length, and like them a lot.

8. b2sc

b2sc Member

..or try a set of Light top/heavy botttom strings. IIRC, Dean Markley sells a .009-.048 (or is it .050?) set.