• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

String through vs top load?

lawl Dave

I've got an old Squier Series Mexican Telecaster (info here if you haven't heard of them) that has a top loading bridge. I love the instrument, but I've been thinking of buying a cheap string through body on ebay or grabbing a warmoth string through one because I like the feeling of more tension with the strings anchoring at the back of the body. Is there any real benefit to this, or is it just all superstition? Would it improve my tone?

Edit: If this is in the wrong forum section, sorry, I'm new here!

Last edited:

lawl Dave

Dave, Check this out...http://www.crestonguitars.com/information/index.php

Down near the bottom of the page he talks about top-loader bridges. FWIW I have a 59 CS Esquire with a top-loader bridge and love it. If you want/need the little extra string tension go for it, but before you do maybe just try a heavier set of strings.
Thanks for the info dude! Maybe I'll just go with that Wilkinson bridge that dual-loads for a new bridge (the stock bridge is kinda junky and I had to tite-bond one of the saddles to stop from moving when I played my high e).

E Baxter Put

I have the Wilkinson bridge on my tele. On my latest set of strings I strung it through the top. I didn't notice that much difference with feel. I think the body does resonate a bit less. Maybe the tone is less muddy, but it's hard to tell with such a slight difference.

I'm probably gonna string it through the body next time because I broke a string with it top loaded, and I very rarely break a string.

Bikedude

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Affinity Tele BSB that had the top loader. Could never get that bridge to intonate correctly, and changing strings was a bitch. I bought a 6 saddle replacement tele bridge (string thru) cant' remember which one but only about 20bux. Installed the bridge in the exsisting holes on the guitar body, and had my friend drill thru with a drill press. Bought 6 ferrules popped em in the back, slapped on a set of SOB Nickels and I was good to go. In tune all over the neck now, easier string changes, more sustain, etc. etc.

Last edited:

lawl Dave

I have a Affinity Tele BSB that had the top loader. Could never get that bridge to intonate correctly, and changing strings was a bitch. I bought a 6 saddle replacement tele bridge (string thru) cant' remember which one but only about 20bux. Installed the bridge in the exsisting holes on the guitar body, and had my friend drill thru with a drill press. Bought 6 ferrules popped em in the back, slapped on a set of SOB Nickels and I was good to go. In tune all over the neck now, easier string changes, more sustain, etc. etc.
Was the drilling complicated, or was it just a pretty basic drill and pop in the ferrules? I was also thinking about just drilling holes in this, but I was concerned about having trouble getting them aligned right or the wood being too weak.

Trending Topics