String tree placement advice for Tele? (pics inside)

WholeLottaGlove

Silver Supporting Member
Hi guys, I need some advice on where to place string trees on my Tele headstock. A few years ago, I completely refinished this guitar, including adding a new waterslide decal. Unfortunately, I didn't factor in that the original string tree hole was right in the center of the new decal. I later drilled another hole but it didn't work as well as I hoped. Anyways, I have ordered two Fender American Series String Guides here:

I want to place them away from the headstock decal if possible, but I want them to be effective in serving their purpose, as well. I know it's merely an aesthetic issue, but I find them to be a bit of an eyesore when they're over the logo. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't think string tree placement is quite as scientific as we'd like to think it is. In fact, I think it's 1/8 science and 7/8 marketing. In the early 50's Fender had their logo closer to the nut and angled to run parallel with the top line of the headstock so the string tree was located just past the logo almost even with the G string tuner. In the late 50's Fender moved the logo forward so it would be parallel with the strings and, lo and behold, the string tree magically moved towards the nut, just below the A string tuner.

They also redesigned the string tree to incorporate separate bushings to adjust the height the string tree so the strings had the appropriate break angle. The closer to the nut, the taller the bushing.

Early 50's
baja_tele5.jpg

Late 50's and beyond:
64-tele-headstock-630-80.jpg

Maybe off topic, but I'm wondering if the '52 avri Tele string trees have always been round. I own one that is treed with a rectangle shape for B and E strings. Or maybe it's not an avri!
Tom

Last edited:

Ayrton

‘52 reissue most likely came with a round one, but could have been easily replaced. You want a round one, get a round one

Dana Olsen

If you like bending behind the nut, it's way easier if the string tree is further from the nut. I like mine between the 3rd and 4th string tuners - right above the first curve in the "n" in Fender in the OP's pics.

Happy Holidays, thanks, Dana O.

walterw

I didn't factor in that the original string tree hole was right in the center of the new decal. I later drilled another hole but it didn't work as well as I hoped.
so that's your guitar in the pic with the hole through the logo?

if the hole is already there you might as well use it

Trending Topics

Top Bottom