String Tree's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I just bought a mighty mite neck for my Tele knockoff. I will need to drill the holes for mounting (hopefully I won't screw it up) and I just remembered that all my other guitars have string tree(s) installed. Are these mandatory? If so, how many? The original cheap neck had 2, but all of my other guitars just have one for strings B and high E.
    Looking at all of the headstocks, there doesn't seem to be any standard measurement of where these need to be installed either? How do I determine?
    Thx

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I've always just added one for the B/E strings.

I think I heard that some of the early Telecasters didn't have any string tree at all.

A lot of the Fender Telecasters seem to have the string tree screwed right down to the peghead, but I've always put them on a spacer. Most string trees seem to come with a spacer.

3. Gasp100

So I guess the easiest way to fine out where to drill is to string up the guitar, losen the B and E string and make sure it's lined up fairly well? I have a Tele neck to compare so I guess I'll use that one as my lead.

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Try without before you drill as mentioned above, winding as far down as possible. String trees cause tunning problems if you're not careful.

5. Gasp100

Cool, I will try sans tree first. I've heard that they can stick (a little graphite over even vaseline can help) and cause tuning problems as well. Looking forward to getting the new neck on here and giving it a go. My James Burton Tele is neckless right now and NOT happy
    :FM