Strings for a nylon string classical

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by iDavid, Nov 13, 2005.

1. iDavid

iDavid Member

I'm about to get a nylon string classical. I've only ever played steel strings. Which brands do you guys recommend for the nylon strinng guitars?

thanks

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

there are many flavors.......I've tried Augustine, Savarez, Hannabach, Galli, D'Addario.....and more I'm not remembering at the moment. A well-made, middle of the road sounding string (not too bright, not too dark) is the D'Addario.......try a set each of the medium (EJ45) and high tension (EJ46) and see what fits your preference.

Here's where I usually shop:

http://www.stringsbymail.com/stmanudisp.asp?tCat=1

3. e-z

e-z Member

+1 for the D'Addarios. They are just as riffmeister described, not too bright or dark.

4. jlf2960

jlf2960 Member

I also recommend D'Addario Pro Arte Classical strings. They also make a composite set as well which is a bit different and more expensive. It comes with an extra composite G string. Basically its a G string made of different materials. Its supposed to last longer.

5. landru64

landru64 Member

what do people think of the GHS le classique?

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

the idea behing the composite G is that it makes the string sound less "tubby" so it blends/transitions better with the sound of the wound strings. I tried a set with the composite G string a while ago.....definitely not my cup of tea! but different strokes for different folks......

7. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

I alternate between Alvarez and D'Addario Pro Arte according to willingness to spend dough :D .

I really like Alvarez strings better, they last longer (ok, maybe you could benefit changing bass strings earlier but that is true for all brands I guess), sound "deeper" (I don't know but I guess there's more harmonic content and the strings just rings out and chords are nothing but sweet) and feels just right to me.
    That being said, I use the Pro Arte whenever I'm short of cash and am happy with it. IMO it lacks the complexity of Alvarez and have shorter life, it also feels a bit brighter which is usually not what I'm looking for...

8. gregc

gregc Member

I like the Savarez strings, the high tension ones.

gregc

9. Marcello

Marcello Member

i keep coming back to Daddario proArtes, great strings.