Strings for down-tuning

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tatoi, Jan 31, 2012.

1. tatoi

tatoi Member

To those who down-tune, what kind of strings do you use?

I'm currently using D'addario 11s on my 335 tuned to Drop C, and while I enjoy the tension, I sometimes have intonation problems. I'm not too sure about this, but it looks like some set of strings have worse intonation than others.

I'd be grateful if a fellow down-tuner could chime in:)

and, please don't shitstorm me for down-tuning on a 335! I just enjoy the deep bass..:hide

2. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I like Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's for C/C#, there sorta like a really fat pair of 11's. The high E is still an 11, but the rest of the strings are thicker than a set of 11's would normally be.

BTW, you're probably having intonation problems because you need to re-set up your guitar each time you change string gauge.

3. lonetone483

lonetone483 Member

+1 on the Ernie Ball suggestion. I use those on a PRS and Les Paul with no problems and good tension. A proper setup with the stings is a must though.

4. tatoi

tatoi Member

I'll definitely try out the Beefy Slinky's. I did re-set up my guitar when changing to 11s, and it was OK for the first few changes, but suddenly became wacky last time a changed strings.

I think I'll get myself some EBs and try re-setting up my guitar again.

5. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I'm not British, but I say bollock's to extra heavy strings, especially all those 12-13 gauge Dunlop drop tune sets. They just sound unnatural. It's weird, I can play 11 gauge strings for normal or 1/2 step tuning, but not for C#. A proper guitar set up allows a 10-50 set for kill, drop sludge tuning.

6. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

Extra heavy strings allow your guitar strings to maintain more tension than they would with lighter springs. I find that the lighter the strings when downtuning, the sloppier they're going to be, i.e. touch 'em and the note will bend. That's acceptable for maybe Drop D tuning, but go lower and you'll find they just flop around.

You'll note that on the packaging, the strings clearly state what note they're to be tuned to.

I use a .14 B-tuned set on my guitars. That way the tension is the same as it would be on a .10 or .12 E-tuned set. I find I get a long more control on bonds and the tone is "fattened" too.

One way to get around the floppiness is to go for a baritone scale instrument (which is what my strings are intended for. That way, the longer scale will allow your strings to be at a more "correct" tension.

- Arvind Jayaram/Jimmy Rage