1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Strings for down-tuning

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tatoi, Jan 31, 2012.

1. tatoi

tatoi Member

To those who down-tune, what kind of strings do you use?

I'm currently using D'addario 11s on my 335 tuned to Drop C, and while I enjoy the tension, I sometimes have intonation problems. I'm not too sure about this, but it looks like some set of strings have worse intonation than others.

I'd be grateful if a fellow down-tuner could chime in:)

and, please don't shitstorm me for down-tuning on a 335! I just enjoy the deep bass..:hide

2. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I like Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's for C/C#, there sorta like a really fat pair of 11's. The high E is still an 11, but the rest of the strings are thicker than a set of 11's would normally be.

BTW, you're probably having intonation problems because you need to re-set up your guitar each time you change string gauge.

3. lonetone483

lonetone483 Member

+1 on the Ernie Ball suggestion. I use those on a PRS and Les Paul with no problems and good tension. A proper setup with the stings is a must though.

4. tatoi

tatoi Member

I'll definitely try out the Beefy Slinky's. I did re-set up my guitar when changing to 11s, and it was OK for the first few changes, but suddenly became wacky last time a changed strings.

I think I'll get myself some EBs and try re-setting up my guitar again.

5. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I'm not British, but I say bollock's to extra heavy strings, especially all those 12-13 gauge Dunlop drop tune sets. They just sound unnatural. It's weird, I can play 11 gauge strings for normal or 1/2 step tuning, but not for C#. A proper guitar set up allows a 10-50 set for kill, drop sludge tuning.

6. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

Extra heavy strings allow your guitar strings to maintain more tension than they would with lighter springs. I find that the lighter the strings when downtuning, the sloppier they're going to be, i.e. touch 'em and the note will bend. That's acceptable for maybe Drop D tuning, but go lower and you'll find they just flop around.

You'll note that on the packaging, the strings clearly state what note they're to be tuned to.

I use a .14 B-tuned set on my guitars. That way the tension is the same as it would be on a .10 or .12 E-tuned set. I find I get a long more control on bonds and the tone is "fattened" too.

One way to get around the floppiness is to go for a baritone scale instrument (which is what my strings are intended for. That way, the longer scale will allow your strings to be at a more "correct" tension.

- Arvind Jayaram/Jimmy Rage