• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

strings for L-OO

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
My duo partner just got a 30's Gibson L-OO (kind of beat but plays & sounds GREAT). What strings do you L-OO folks like for fullness, clarity & durability? (he uses 12-52's so he can do some blues bending). He needs something that will last reasonably, as he is just not a weekly string changer. Coated strings would probably dull the wound strings for this guitar but all suggestions will be considered. Gracias!

bazooka47

Gold Supporting Member
I have a '38 L-00, and I just string it with D'Addario phosphor bronze light gauge (.012-whatever).

I haven't done much 'research' or experimentation to find the right string for every guitar, I just find that the D's are good overall, last a reasonably long time, and I can buy them in 25-set bulk packs. So, I get a bulk pack of lights, and a pack of mediums and that covers all of my acoustics.

johneeeveee

My '36 L00 seems to really like the John Pearse Phosphor Bronze Lights (12-53). Nice full, round tone, less "stiff" feel than most strings, and they last a long time.

Just my 2 cents... hope it helps - jv

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
I also have a '38 L-00 and I use the D'Addario strings. I use the Phosphor Bronze Custom Lights. I've tried lots of others but allways come back to these. They have the sound and feel I like best and they're relatively inexpensive. I find all phosphor bronze strings to have similar durability.

arcey

I have a '34 and have been using the standard Martin lights, but just bought a set of D'Addario EXPs to try. I expect these guitars sound amazing with anything though.

I have a question for for all of you fortunate L-00 owners. I am still using the original case and am looking for a good hardshell case for mine (it sure deserves it!). Anyone have suggestions where I can find one (I can swing $(100. - 150.)?

Thanks!

FosterBrooks

johneeeveee

Mine lives in a 00 sized Tweed TKL hardshell case with an arched top from Elderly. Very nice and fits well.

arcey

Thanks for the advice! The one at Musicians Friend should do the trick (I notice their dimensions are wrong, but a reviewer corrected them). Great price too. Thanks again.