Strings hard to bend on Les Paul copy

sidk47

Hi guys,

I am Siddharth from India.

I have a Cort CR300. Some kind of Les paul copy with EMG active pickups.

The action has been set low. 3mm from top of fret to string on 12th fret for low E. 2mm from top of 12th fret to bottom of high e.

Truss rod has been set such that when pressed at 1 and 15 and tapped on 8, there is just a tiny bit of relief.

Intonation set such that the fretted 12th fret and the open 0th fret match. More or less.

The stop bar tail piece has been turned all the way down into the body to increase sustain.

The strings are a bit hard to bend and feel stiff. Harder than on my two point trem Fender Modern Player 2.0 strat with after market Chinese pickguard and pickups.

The strings are hard to bend and feel stiff. What should I do? Should I raise the stop bar tail piece? Would that help? The strings are all hard to bend and feel stiff. There is only a minimal amount of fret buzz above the 15th fret and onwards. Or there may be no buzz and that is my imagination.

But as I have re-iterated many times, the main problem is that the strings are hard to bend and feel stiff especially when compared to my high action 2 point floating trem strat set up the FruduaTV way(YouTube channel).

Please chime in with your inputs as to how to solve the strings which are a little too hard to bend.

Thanking you,
Your friend from India,
Siddharth Karunakaran,
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu,
South India, India.

CjRuckus

I assume you have a set neck copy as opposed to a bolt on neck correct?

If it's a set neck, you can start with straightening the neck. If you don't feel confident doing this I suggest you take it to a tech to have them help you out.

You can watch this to give you an idea of what to do mate

Cam1936

Never heard of those strings, is that what you are using on your Strat?

You can top wrap the tail piece, which makes the strings feel a little bit more slinky, but the effect is subtle.

The only other option is try a new string brand or go down to 9s.

The Les Paul should feel easier to bend than the Strat, assuming it has a 24.75" scale like a real Les Paul. If for some reason it has a 25.5" scale, definitely go down to 9s if you want it to feel like your Strat. The trem of a Strat makes the strings give a big when you bend them, the shorter scale on a Les Paul should more than make up for that though.

Jabby92

It needs a setup. Truss rod is most likely the culprit. If its too loose or too tight it can really floppy or real hard to play. You have to set it somewhere in the middle so its comfortable to play. Also its good to polish frets as they can cause resistance to bending if they haven't been polished/cleaned in a while.

Larry Eh?

Are your frets tall or low? If they're low, friction from your fingers on the fingerboard wood might be hindering you.

jwguitar

Hi guys,

The action has been set low. 3mm from top of fret to string on 12th fret for low E. 2mm from top of 12th fret to bottom of high e.

Truss rod has been set such that when pressed at 1 and 15 and tapped on 8, there is just a tiny bit of relief.

Intonation set such that the fretted 12th fret and the open 0th fret match. More or less.

The stop bar tail piece has been turned all the way down into the body to increase sustain.

The strings are a bit hard to bend and feel stiff. Harder than on my two point trem Fender Modern Player 2.0 strat with after market Chinese pickguard and pickups.

The strings are hard to bend and feel stiff. What should I do? Should I raise the stop bar tail piece? Would that help? The strings are all hard to bend and feel stiff. There is only a minimal amount of fret buzz above the 15th fret and onwards. Or there may be no buzz and that is my imagination.

But as I have re-iterated many times, the main problem is that the strings are hard to bend and feel stiff especially when compared to my high action 2 point floating trem strat set up the FruduaTV way(YouTube channel).

Please chime in with your inputs as to how to solve the strings which are a little too hard to bend.

Thanking you,
Your friend from India,
Siddharth Karunakaran,
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu,
South India, India.[/QUOTE]

I own that same guitar and it plays really nice. The easiest thing to do is to raise the tail piece a bit. You should be good to go. On another note those Cort CR300 Guitars are pretty sweet. Here is me playing my Cort:

jazzwannabe

Gold Supporting Member
Top-wrap the strings and raise the tailpiece little by little until you get the feel you want.

If that doesn’t get you there, try giving the truss rod a small turn to the left. Do this with the strings on and turn it only as far as the space between the strings will allow the tool to travel. Small turns only.

sidk47

@CjRuckus
Set neck indeed.
I know how to adjust the truss rod and already did so.
That was the video I used to set up my guitar.

@Cam1936
I'm using Elixir 9 42 on my strat with a floating trem.
It's much easier to bend strings on my strat and the strings feel slinky.
However, I don't feel this is a string issue.
24.75" scale. It's a les paul copy.

@jabby
As I said I know about the truss rod and relief is more or less right.
When I first got the guitar, I polished all the frets with 0000 steel wool.

@Larry Eh?
It's a Jatoba fretboard. The frets are medium height.
I don't think the fretboard is the problem.
There are many jatoba fretboards without complaints from those who have played them or bought them.

@Cam1936 @TheMemoeryEstate @jwguitar @jazzwannabe
I will try to top wrap the stop bar and raise it.
Will report back.

Thank you all for your help. I didn't measure the relief on the high e string. Will try a re set up with raising the stopbar or topwrapping the strings.

sidk47

Hi guys,

Thanking you,
Your friend from India,
Siddharth Karunakaran,
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu,
South India, India.
I own that same guitar and it plays really nice. The easiest thing to do is to raise the tail piece a bit. You should be good to go. On another note those Cort CR300 Guitars are pretty sweet. Here is me playing my Cort:

[/QUOTE]
By the way, your jazz chops are amazing.

sidk47

Problem solved. Put elixir optiwebs 9 42 in top wrap fashion. Best strings in the world in my opinion. Much more slinkier. Plays like an electric guitar should.
Case closed.

Jabby92

@CjRuckus
Set neck indeed.
I know how to adjust the truss rod and already did so.
That was the video I used to set up my guitar.

@Cam1936
I'm using Elixir 9 42 on my strat with a floating trem.
It's much easier to bend strings on my strat and the strings feel slinky.
However, I don't feel this is a string issue.
24.75" scale. It's a les paul copy.

@jabby
As I said I know about the truss rod and relief is more or less right.
When I first got the guitar, I polished all the frets with 0000 steel wool.

@Larry Eh?
It's a Jatoba fretboard. The frets are medium height.
I don't think the fretboard is the problem.
There are many jatoba fretboards without complaints from those who have played them or bought them.

@Cam1936 @TheMemoeryEstate @jwguitar @jazzwannabe
I will try to top wrap the stop bar and raise it.
Will report back.

Thank you all for your help. I didn't measure the relief on the high e string. Will try a re set up with raising the stopbar or topwrapping the strings.
You can't measure the relief so its 'more or less right' it has to be RIGHT or else it will not play well. Also IMO any measurement you find online is a guideline, the reality is every guitar is going to vary.. so you really gotta dial it in to suit you as the player. Some people like the guitar with the neck really straight, others like it with a slight bow, etc.. and all of this plays into it.

sidk47

I have set the relief to the approximate way I like it.Thanks. Case closed. Mystery solved. Plays like a dream now.
You can't measure the relief so its 'more or less right' it has to be RIGHT or else it will not play well. Also IMO any measurement you find online is a guideline, the reality is every guitar is going to vary.. so you really gotta dial it in to suit you as the player. Some people like the guitar with the neck really straight, others like it with a slight bow, etc.. and all of this plays into it.

C-4

OP,
If you feel you have made the correct adjustments to your guitar and it feels too stiff for you, go to 1/2 gauge lighter strings to start. That is, if you use 10-46, try 9.5-.044's.

If the guitar still feels too stiff, try 9-42's.

I currently have some shorter scale guitars, which feel stiffer then my full scale guitars with the same gauge strings. I just use a lighter gauge string on those.

Don't forget to re-intonate when you change string gauges. ;)

Gevalt

Never used Optima, OP, but I will try them someday

I have tried about 10 brands and they all have different bending tension.
Try a different brand, maybe? Pyramid are the stiffest to me, and D'adarrio are pretty easy. Ernie Ball are in between those.
Best of luck!

OOPS, you're good. I'm glad you tried dif. strings. Was that a big factor? Elixr are made by D'adarrio :)

Trending Topics