Strings not over poles in pickups??!?!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RDM, Feb 28, 2008.

1. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I just finshed dropping in a Duncan JB in the bridge poistion of my Ibanez RG. I noticed that the high e string and the b string are not centered over the pole piece in the pup, but only at the bridge pup. They seem to be ok at the neck pup, ok at the middle, and seem to "stray off course" at the bridge pup. The high e is worse than the b string. What's the deal? I can tell that there's a volume drop when I hit the high e with the bridge pup engaged. Is this a neck issue? The pup spacing seems to be OK. The low e is centered over the pole and the trem looks straight.

:confused:

2. aidan7737

aidan7737 Member

Should be okay. Perhaps raise the treble side a bit to compensate but it's pretty common that the strings won't align EXACTLY. All you're really worried about is getting in or around that magnetic feild as much (or little) as sounds good, if you're noticing a drop-off adjust to taste!

3. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Well, it's off by a considerable ammount....like not even over the pole.

4. damo7v

damo7v Member

Is the pickup F-spaced?

5. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I have no idea. I think Duncan calls it trem spaced. It's a Duncan JB.

6. Paradigm

Paradigm Member

My EJ strat is similar. High E is right at the edge of the pole at the Bridge PU, 3/4 off center at the mid, and pretty much dead center at the Neck PU.

Freaked me out until I noticed that pretty much every EJ I have seen on the web has a similar setup.

I am pretty sure I am not a good enough guitarist for it matter even it did...

7. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

There are standard Duncan pups which are spaced for a Gibson Les Paul. Fender type guitars have a wider string spacing at the bridge, which is why they make trem-spaced pups, so they match up better.

Personally, I have nothing but Fenders with humbuckers, and I put a Gibson spaced Duncan JB in the bridge of my guitars. I have never had a problem with the sound dropping out.

It should be noted that pole pieces....particularly on something as hot as a JB...has a decent level of magnetic field. Even if your strings don't match up it should be fine.

Here is one of my fav guitars...It's a Squier Super-Sonic, and that's a Gibson spaced Duncan JB. Yes, it's reverse angled.

[​IMG]

The bottom coil (with the duncan logo) is the primary coil. If you look closely, you'll see that the low E isn't even close to lining up with the screw. Nor is the A or D. The high E doesn't match up either. On the
    top coil the A matches up ok, but everything else doesn't match up at all.
    I don't have any problems at all with the sound of this guitar and the
    way the pickup sounds. All the strings sound balanced and sounds fine.
    I keep the pickup height flat relative to the strings. The left side isn't any higher than the right side. In short, I don't think you have anything
    to worry about sound wise. I can understand not liking the cosmetics
    of it all, and I felt the same way at first, but I grew to like it.

8. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Sweet. I could really care less about the look (although it's annoying...haha) and just wanted to make sure it'll still be cool sound-wise. I raised the pup a hair on that side to compensate for the slight volume drop.