Strings suddenly go sharp?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by lowendgenerator, Aug 22, 2006.

1. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

6 months ago I moved my gear from a floor level room in my house to the basement. Thats when I started to notice that most of my guitars were sharp when I picked them up.

Tonight I witnessed it firsthand. After tuning my guitar, I played it and it sounded sharp on the G and B. I tuned up to pitch again and this time plucked the string a few more times. I actually watched it go sharp on the tuner. :NUTS

I think the culprit to be the strings slowly equalisizing the tension fore and aft of the nut. All of my guitars are strung with D'Addario XL .010s. I should mention that all of my guitars are setup for .010s, including nutwork. Other than this strangeness, my guitars are stable and true. Bizzare or what?

2. Colt14jr

Colt14jr Member

It's a different climate in your basement, causing the necks to move.

3. AS193

AS193 Member

More humidity in basement=neck swells&straightens=more tension on strings=higher pitch :jo

4. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

Well that's one theory, but the humidity change would be constant, and after I re-tuned, everything should be stable. I have not had to make truss rod adjustments on any of my guitars.

5. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

Take one of your guitars out of the basement for a few weeks and let it acclimate to the change in humidity. If the guitar stay in tune at the correct pitch you have your answer, don't store your guitars in the basement. Taking them in and out of the basement will wreak havoc with it. Basement humidity is never constant, neither is the temp.

Been there, done that.

6. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

Yes, good call. I wasn't trying to dispute that basements cause whackiness in my previous post, sorry if it came off that way. I bought this house specifically because it had an office on the mail level that I could use as my gear room. That lasted all of 1 year before it became the official toybox for my daughter. I think it's about time daddy laid down the law.

7. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

My guitars often go sharp when left sitting in the basement. Its cool all the time, but the humidity is ideal. I don't know the difference in expansion coefficients of wood and the steel, but I suspect that's the culprit.

Living in a cold climate I'll tell you that 10 degrees of temperature change will without question knock a Strat so far out of tune it'll sound awful (even more awful than my playing) :)

8. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

I left my strat upstairs last night in tune and it was still in this evening. I need to take my office on the main floor back. I gave it up to my daughter a year ago so she could have a room dedicated to her toys. She can have the closet. :)

9. PaulM

PaulM Member

+1. I use a product called "nut sauce" that is better than anything else I've tried.

10. bigroy

bigroy Member

I play one club that has an AC vent right above me on stage. It's great during the set, but if I leave a guitar under it on break, I have to warm up the neck prior to playing and retune it just a dab...I now just move it over to the other side of the stage while on break.