Strings Through Body - Is this good?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by JoeYello, Aug 1, 2020 at 3:46 PM.

1. JoeYello

JoeYello Supporting Member

What are the advantages of a string through body bass? I have a Precision with it and one without. I don't notice much tonal difference. Is it just a feel thing? More tension with the string through body?

2. kodiakblair

kodiakblair Member

I've plenty of string through body,through bridge and top loading basses, easy 20+ of each. Can't say I've noticed the slightest bit of difference :)

Some folks will claim it makes a huge difference,some will bring forth graphic and seismograph readings as proof.
    All very good but there's machines can detect a butterfly taking off a mile away, such machines do not reflect the human experience :D

JoeYello and The Golden Boy like this.
  3. joe_jr

joe_jr Silver Supporting Member

I favor the bridge-anchored arrangement, as I can change a string quickly, without having to even take the bass off if I really had to.

Tone wise, IMO it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

4. Kronos147

Kronos147 Member

That is my impression on my American Standard Jazz (2011). I prefer through the bridge, like the original design.

5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Meh.

I've had both. Through the body is supposed to resonate more. If it does, I can't tell the difference.

6. somedude

somedude Member

I’m also in the can’t tell the difference camp.

7. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Member

I'm sure that when it was introduced, stringing thru-body was more advantageous as it helped with vibrations and sustain.

But nowadays? There is such a slight difference in tone/feel that you'd be hard pressed to hear it A/B'd solo, let alone in a group.

That said, my current bass build (32" 5 string) is going to have a string-thru bridge option. However, it's mainly to allow me to use standard length strings on a medium scale bass. So, it's a more practical reason to use it.

derekd likes this.
  8. feet

feet Silver Supporting Member

my yamaha bbp34 has the option for both. it arrived string through, and i haven't felt the need to change it. i like tension and i tune down, so i figure that's the way to go for me. but with the frequency in which i change strings, i may never find out.

9. olejason

olejason Member

10. Alanko

Alanko Member

Another vote for 'makes no difference'.

11. hangten

hangten Silver Supporting Member

I just switched my parts tele I've been playing since 1994 from string-thru to top-loader and greatly prefer it.
    More of a feel than a tone vibe - I put a new bridge on so impossible to say what caused what.

12. Khromo

Khromo Silver Supporting Member

I have several basses that string either/or, so one day I strung a bass with two brand new E's and two G's (EEGG), one of each strung through the body and one of each anchored at the bridge. I did this because it was the only way I could think of to make a clear, no b.s. comparison. If one method sounded better, I needed to know!

I played it like that for hours, at all volumes, through a couple of different amps and cabs. I gave my ears a rest, and tried again, rested again, tried again, I worked very hard at it because I really wanted to arrive at a clear preference, or conclusion, or something!

I finally put it to bed, and picked it up the next morning with fresh, morning ears, and I still could not arrive at a clear favorite, or even tell them apart reliably.

My ears have had a hard life, and the next guy might hear things I couldn't, but it was pretty clear to me that any sonic difference was extremely subtle, with the gear I was using. Given the choice, I string E's and B's through the body to bump up the tension a little, and string the rest through the bridge.

13. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

On instruments where you bend the strings a lot, I think it matters. On a bass??? Maybe for right hand feel.