Strings!!! What to use!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spyeman, Sep 26, 2006.

1. spyeman

spyeman Supporting Member

I play a tele in a classic rock band and do some serious bends. I've been using the Elixers but I would like to try something else - what brand are great for rock!!!! Plus, what do people use to clean their strings? Man, after a gig, mine look like licorice sticks - black! I've used stuff like Goof Off or Goo Gone, and they do a good job. Any other products???

2. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Try stainless steel strings. Or, not sur eif they are made any longer, the Maxima Gold strings.

3. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Pure nickel strings and lighter fluid to clean 'em (CAUTION, do not smoke while doing this - really - I learned the hard way).

4. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

After many years of playing and using most of the brands that are out there, I have become a real fan of DR Pure Blues strings, 11's. They really do out last all the others, I plays Blues/Rock and bend the piss out of my strings and the DR's take all the abuse and keep going, I hardly ever break a string. I don't clean my strings, I change them before and after every gig or once a week.

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

That's what Hendrix did :FM

6. bullet69

bullet69 Member

any minute someone is going to recomend snake oil strings, oh wait i guess its me.

7. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Okay, I'll bite the bullet, bullet:

1. Snake Oil Brand Strings
    2. Pyramid Strings
    3. DR's.

And there you have it.

End of thread.

8. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Martin Electric Strings. the best. Good luck findin' 'em! I ain't revealin' my stash!!! :NUTS

9. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I thought I killed this thread.

10. Mr. Poopsicle

Mr. Poopsicle Member

11. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

anyone try electro harmonix strings? I dig them.

12. kovachian

kovachian Member

Ernie Balls turn to rusty crud if I even so much as look at them the wrong way. I guess it's my body chemistry? Try D'Addarios, they sound every bit as good and last waaay longer.

13. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I have a Strat and a Tele. I play the Strat more often so I use less expensive strings and change them more often than I do the Tele.

I string my Tele with Thomastik-Infeld PB111 Power-Brights, .011-.046.

I string my Strat with D Addario EXL115, .011-.049.

14. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Just buy D'addario XL's and be done with it. I've tried a lot of the others and for how often people change strings why waste the money. I have used DR blues as well and they don't last at all, they do reduce the highs a bit and on some tele's this is a very good thing. I wouldn't recommend the DR blues for dark guitars, you will end up with no treble.

15. spyeman

spyeman Supporting Member

Interested in researching the snake oil brand - can't find a website - anyone? Thanks.

16. SebiX

SebiX Member

Well, try the SnakeOilStrings...

I also really like the SIT strings.

17. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

One word of advise on the SOS...
    Order at least 1/2 guage lower than you normally use, unless you like high string tension... IE: If you play 10's, order 9.5's etc...

Personally I have played the SOS and still go back to Thomastik Infeld...
    They are a violin/stringed instrument manufacturer...But I have never had a single string break on me, and they last even longer than the SOS. They retain their fullness and have just the right amount of spank...
    I personally use Power Brites 10's on stop tails and Power Brites 9's on Trem equipped guitars...
    A little bit pricy, but well worth it IMHO.
    Steve

Link
    http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/guitars/index.html

18. SebiX

SebiX Member

Yes that´s a good advice. Somehow the tension of the SnakeOils is a little bit higher... that´s true

19. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I played Ernie Ball strings forever but recently switched over to D'addario XL's and I'm liking them a lot.

20. fetuspetus

fetuspetus Member

i have used daddario, dr, eb, and dean markley...

personally i like DR the most, followed by daddario... I refuse to use EB cuz they suck, and well i get dean markley at dealer cost so i use em cuz I am poor and can't order "snake oil" strings hehe.

One main thing I can suggest is just to whipe your strings down in general... and i hate to say it i change my strings at least once every 2 shows, except on tour, in which i go about once every 3 and i kinda play it by feel.. if they feel like they are going to break or they are so dead it makes me sound like i'm underwater, I change em.

the secrent, once again, is to whipe them down.

NOW the reason i liek DR and deaddario strings is that i'm pretty sure each string package is vacuum sealed... this prevents any corrosion while the strings are sitting on the shelf.. many a pack of dean markleys i've opened had at least SOME slight signs of open air.

I also prefer the grey box to the blue.. the grey has a metal ball which helps make more contact to the guitar, compared to the plastic on the "blue steel" that's the main difference I can point out.

Blah! strings.

ben