Strings: Which ones aren't bright?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by buchla300, Jul 4, 2008.

1. buchla300

buchla300 Member

I have been using d'addario for ages and although I find them fine I wonder if there are equivalent affordable strings that are just a touch less bright or maybe a bit fuller...depending on which way you look at it.
    Any thoughts?

Thx

2. vinceman

vinceman Member

Old/Used strings? :banana:banana:banana

Sorry... :hide

3. Bob V

Bob V Member

D'Addario just came out with a pure nickel version of the XL. Instead of nickel plated steel they're all nickel (alloy) like vintage strings were. Haven't tried them yet (nor have I seen them on the wall at the store) but they're supposed to be more mellow.

Hate to say it since I'm loyal to D'Addario's, but there is a Fender pure nickel string available and they are not as bright as the nickel plated steel strings. I think Fender calls them "original" and they come in bullet and ball ends.

4. mike80

mike80 Member

5. buchla300

buchla300 Member

I just ordered some D'Addario Nickel EPN110.
    Thanks!
    David

6. schmerf

schmerf Member

I have used the pure nickel D'Addario strings and I liked them a lot. They weren't quite as bright and seemed to bring out harmonics. If They were in stores when I went to get strings they would be what I was using. I've been meaning to order some online but always end up going to the store for strings.

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I've been using Ernie Ball Classic Slinky's now for over 10 years because the pure nickel content of these is much warmer sounding than anything else on the market...

8. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Of course there's Snake Oil Strings (do a search). I just got a few sets of GHS Santana strings- "big core" with pure nickel wrap. They sound really huge and full while still retaining just enough edge. About $5 a set. So far so good- a couple of weeks & they still sound pretty "new". I'll report back sometime on how they last (lasting is Snake oil's strong point).

9. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Try the Dean Markley Blue Steels.

10. roadhog96

roadhog96 Member

I pretty much use and am happy with D'Addario strings. They bend easy, last long and sound good. However, I have recently had a need for a warmer sounding string on a ES-335 that I thought the D'Addario strings which are nickel plated steel were too bright sounding. Their pure nickel strings weren't available in the size gauge I wanted. So I did some searching and came up with a brand imported from Germany called Pyramid Maximum Performance pure nickel with a hex core and their Nickel Classics which have a round core. Their core wire is smaller gauged than other manufactures so you can actually go up a size string set without feeling any higher tension. The Nickel wrap is thicker because of the smaller diameter core wire so you get a thicker warmer tone. The plain steel strings in the set are silver plated and the twisted ball end is hand wrapped with silk, talk about a classy looking string. They sound very pleasing and feel great, I have to say, I think I'm hooked on them. I tried DR Pure Blues, now they are just the opposite. They use a larger core wire with a thinner outer wrap of Nickel. Believe it or not the 10-46 DR's felt like the same tension as the D'Addario 10-49 I had on my LP. Anyway I ended up with 10-48 Pyramids on the 335 and no harder to play or bend with than 10-46 set. That's what it's all about finding the right tone, experiment.