Strings with a wrapped 3rd?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jack Dotson, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

Is D'adario the only string manufacturer who makes a set with the wrapped 3rd? I've never tried a wrapped 3rd, but have been wanting to them on my Strat's, but the D's are the only ones I can find, but they are nickel plated steel and I prefer solid nickel.

2. steelhead

steelhead Member

Here's some: http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-900.html
    I believe they make a lighter gauge also, but these sound great on most guitars. (i.e. tele, strat, LP, hollowbody) Some people don't like semi-flats, but to me they're smooth sounding and make my hollowbody really sound like a different guitar than with other strings. I personally like a little heavier string.

3. Brien

Brien Member

Plenty of companies make them, but what gauge are you looking for? They are very common in heavier sets.

4. Jack Dotson

Whoops. Forgot to mention that. 10's.

5. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

If you do go with a wound G, you might want to tweak your pole-piece height a bit. A wound G ends up being the a bit lower output than a plain steel string.

6. rrhea

rrhea Member

And if you do any heavy bending don't they tend to break? The inner core in one of those technically makes it the thinnest string on the guitar, right?

RR

7. Jack Dotson

I don't do allot of bending. I play chorded music 90% of the time. Of course there are some riffs that require some bends, but my point is that I'm not as hard on strings as some might be.

My reason for wanting to try the wound 3rd is to get a warmer and more balanced sound from my Strat's when playing chords. I may be in left field, but it's just something I've wanted to try.

I'd love to hear from some of you who have tried these on your strat's.

8. xgrip

xgrip Member

I use Thomastik-Infeld's Jazz Swing flatwound set on my 62 reissue Strat. I use the extra light gauge 10-44 that has a wound .018 gauge 3rd/G string. These strings sound and feel like no other. I can still get enough 'bite' on the flatwound lower strings and the tone is melting warm and the strings have a supple feel I haven't found with any other string.
    They're a little (ok a lot) pricey, but they last a long time and the tone and feel are worth it imho.
    The best price I've found is at Strings by Mail.
    Give a set a try, I think it's just what you're looking for with your strat.
    Good luck.

9. Jack Dotson

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks so much for the info, I'll definitely check them out.

10. xgrip

xgrip Member

Glad to help and I think you'll like these a lot. One nice thing about Strings by Mail is you can also get the T-I single strings for any set. I sometimes get a plain .018 with the set for when I want a plain vs wound G. Or I go with a .047 from the 11 set for the low E as the .44 feels just a tad lighter than the .046 with typical 10 set.
    Also, others have noted this too, the T-I plain steel strings are brass plated and sound better than other makers plain steel strings, go figure, but it's true.

11. kja

kja Member

i use that same string and guage too and it's true, they are incredible.
    one thing i have noticed though is that the brass wears away pretty quick but even then the plain straings stay shiny forever and done get all nasty like others.