Strings with low finger squeak - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 6789, Jun 5, 2006.

1. 6789

6789 Member

I've been using D'Addario EHR350 Half Rounds 12-52 Jazz Light strings and I like that I don't get finger squeak from them. But the low E was sounding Farty compared to Snake Oil strings.

recently tried some Snake Oil "Vintage" strings and I like the sound a lot but I'm getting more finger squeak than I like.

Are there any strings anyone would recommend?

I'm after a sound similar to old Link Wray recordings.

2. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

If you are digging the snake oils except for the squeeks you can get some Tone Finger Ease stuff which you apply to the strings before playing - lubricates and cleans.

3. Dollar

Dollar Member

GHS Nickel Rockers are "Rollerwound" which is claimed to reduce finger noise. Haven't tried them yet though.

4. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

Try some Flatwounds.

5. 6789

6789 Member

Do other people get finger squeak?

6. OOG

OOG Member

i LOVE the Thomastik-Infeld BB112's

7. ceceres4

ceceres4 Member

+1 on the Thomastik flatwounds. Great string,great tone, never go out of tune during a gig and last a real long time. They feel great on the finger,not stiff at all and no squeaks. I put them on all my guitars including electric acoustics. Give em' a try.You might not ever play rounds again!:AOK

8. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I'll have to try the TI's. I've been using Pyramids -- fantastic strings. I've got those or SOS on everything at this point.

The GHS rollerwounds are OK, but I found them to get dull quickly, very quickly. Like all compromises, you lose something by not either being a true rollerwound or flatround, imo, and thus aren't quite as satisfying as either.

9. yyz67

yyz67 Member

But don't all non-roundwound strings sound duller/flatter than roundwound? Won't they lose (at least some of) the treble attack?

10. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I think it's more accurate to say that they sound different; duller or flatter makes them sound bad. It's a rounder sound, yes, but there's no loss (with good flatounds) of tone or harmonic content. I'd agree that there's loss of treble attack, but whether or not that's a bad thing depends on the sound you're going after. In return, you get no finger-noise, longer life, the ability to have lower action without buzz, and amazing legato possibilities. And the tone is really, really cool.

Incidentally, if interested in Pyramid flatwounds, the best deal I've gotten is from eBay, a seller by the name of fynn_wilfield, who has the best prices I've found, and is very fast & responsible. I've ordered several times from him with great results.