Stripped nut hole? (Heh)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mikeymoves, Apr 7, 2015.

1. mikeymoves

mikeymoves Member

So the bolt hole that covers the E and A string on my floyd rose neck in the nut is stripped. Am I doomed?

2. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

Is it a locking nut similar to this? http://www.allparts.com/locking-nuts

You can by replacement parts and it's not a bad idea to have spares around anyway. Just make sure you are getting the same size and thread for the part or replace the whole nut.

3. cram

cram Member

If it's like MJ Slaughter says - (best example I could find, albeit 8string)

[​IMG]

Find a match for your width and type at all parts or stewmac and you'll be good to go.

4. mikeymoves

mikeymoves Member

Oh yeah, I guess the threading doesn't go into the wood of the neck. Thanks! Stupid question, but how do these mount ONTO the neck?

5. cram

cram Member

Usually there are 2 holes that go through the neck for securing the nut to the neck.

Things to consider though are making sure your replacement fits in at the right spot - if it's off, you can mess with intonation. Also, the height is a consideration - so make sure of that measurement.

6. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

That hasn't been 'usual' since the late '80s. I've owned a LOT of Floyd guitars, but only one with the through-holes (a Kramer NightSwan, circa '88).

'Usually' there are two small screws (maybe a half-inch long) countersunk from the top (string surface). The holes for them are also typically threaded, so the nut can be used the 'old' way too.

If there are no holes on the back of your neck, you have the 'current' method of mounting.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015