Stripped the truss rod bolt. Warmoth?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheClev, Jan 20, 2015.

1. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

If you've stripped out your truss rod, is there any option for fixing it? If not, does anyone have any advice on Warmoth necks as a replacement on Highway Strat?

2. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Take the wrench that is the next size up and gently taper each of the six sides with a file so the it fits into the truss nut. apply firm pressure and gently turn. It may catch and turn the rod. If not, just get a new neck. Such a common problem. I have no idea why Fender can't use a bigger truss rod nut- would save a lot of this kind of trouble.

If you need a new neck I'd highly recommend you check out Musikraft before Warmoth. Their outlet store has necks from about $178 on up. Great necks.

3. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

There are ways to get it out. No reason to buy a new neck. If it's an allen wrench nut then try the method above. If that does not work you can try this which worked for me. It's a hack method so let that be known. Use a sacrificial allen wrench of the correct size. Super glue that baby into the hole. It just needs to hold it enough to screw the nut off and then replace it with a new one. There are probably more legit methods too that people that know what they are doing will tell you and are probably better.

4. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

5. GermanCDN

GermanCDN Member

If you've stripped out the hex key inteface, zztomato's solution should work.

If you've stripped the threads on the shaft, Stewmac makes a rescue kit which involves drilling out some extra material, re-threading the shaft, and installing a new nut. However, price of the kit + time to do it is pretty close to the price of a new neck from Warmoth, and if you screw up the rescue, you're buying a new neck anyway.

6. scolfax

scolfax Member

7. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

8. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

If it's a Hwy 1 Strat it should be an 1/8" Allen Socket w/ a Walnut access hole that's glued in to the neck. First thing I would do would be to get a flashlight and some magnification, and clean out as much crap as you can from inside the cavity to see exactly what you have ? Then perhaps that Grabber Tool mentioned from Stew-Mac may work ?

9. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Found an unused goncalo Warmoth neck on the local Craigslist for $120, complete with Sperzels, a corian nut and 6150 frets. Yay or nay?

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

It will be good but only you know if that spek is OK for you.

11. Kostas

Kostas Member

It's a steal. If the neck shape and radius suit your style take it.