Stripped Thread Hole in Pickup baseplate - HELP

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Rock Johnson, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Hey guys - I posted this question at the Seymour Duncan forum, but my account got all weird and I can't reply, so here goes:

I recently traded out the stock pickups in my Peavey Vandenberg Custom Quilt (put in SD Alnico II Pro's). I want to try the Peavey pickups in my Godin Freeway classic, just for fun.

Problem is, the screw holes on the Vandy pickup baseplates are completely stripped. If the baseplate was metal, I'd just drill a larger hole and re-tap it. However, the baseplate is plastic. Any ideas?

I'd thought of either using superglue or JB Weld to basically fill the hole, then re-drill and re-tap. Is that the best answer?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

2. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

super glue is probably your best bet. since the baseplate is plastic, the glue will harden just like the plastic. should hold a screw no problemo.

3. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

That's kinda what I thought. Do you think it'll be stable enough or will it just chip out over time?

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Use a nut & washer under the base plate if there's enough room in the cavity. It's a bit more fiddly to set the height, but you'll never have to worry about it stripping out or coming loose or anything.

--chiba

5. PanamaCZ

PanamaCZ Member

To add to what Chiba suggested, what about just gluing a nut to the plastic base plate? If you can locate the nut under the plate (so the screw passes through the base plate and then threads into the nut), it might not be so fiddly.

6. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Good idea. That way the nut's not loose - although the nut holding the guitar probably is LOL....

Now... I just gotta find some nuts that fit that bolt.... off to Home Depot I am.