Stripping down the chrome on cheap hardware.

SamBooka

Anyone try this? Replaing the jazzmaster bridge on a partscaster. Dont need anything special but thought of stripping down a cheap chinese bridge and seeing what was underneath.

If it works, great. If it doesnt i am out 15$

Anyone try this? The only acid I have at home is white vinegar.. I have heard Coca Cola works I supposed I could buy a can.. :D

OlAndrew

Acid wash won't do it. Most substrate metals are more reactive than chrome (that's why you use chrome) so the substrate will etch out from under the chrome. In a plating shop, if they have to do it, they use electricity in a reaction that's the reverse of plating, called electrostripping. Doesn't usually leave a very nice surface, so subsequent polishing and replating is usually required.

jjcolas

Silver Supporting Member
No acids or treatment from most at home sources will remove chrome. It's different from gold in that chrome is a change to the outer layer of nickel and not just plated over the top. The only way is to send the parts to a plating facility.

I work for advanced plating where we have a chrome strip tank where we have a heated caustic and uses a reverse electroplating process that will extract the chrome from the nickel and should leave you with straight nickel parts considering the original plating was worth a damn to start with.

Trending Topics