stripping paint for refinishing.

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by JimH, Feb 25, 2008.

1. JimH

JimH Member

Attempted this yesterday with nitro mors. Long and laborious job.. - Any tips?

Thanks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

3. JimH

JimH Member

Oh really??? at what stage? did it outside, was cold too, so probably didn't help.

4. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

My best friend stried stripping his old San Dimas Charvel and gave up after a couple of hours.

We ended up taking it to a commercial furniture stripper and it was like 40.00.

Matt

5. JimH

JimH Member

This is the most fun ever.... er???

[​IMG]

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

The heat gun is used in lieu of a chemical stripper. Heating the finish carefully will soften it enabling a scraper blade to lift the finish off of the substrate. Much less invasive and messy than chemical strippers. You still have to sand in preparation for the next finish.

7. JimH

JimH Member

Thanks, does it have to be a powerful gun? Seems can get them for $20.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Depending upon the finish, you could get by with a hairdryer. Nitro finishes soften fairly easily. Polyurethane takes a little more heat. Polyester is another story, though. For that it might be best to do what you're doing and follow with aggressive sanding.

Best of luck!

9. jshinn

jshinn Member

Do I see a Chisel? I usually use a metal putty knife...does't gouge the wood. Any scrapes left by the putty knife are on the very surface and easily sanded. Nitro also strips easy with Zip Strip and I usually follow with acetone. Depending on the year of your bass it may have a polyester sealer coat...if this is the case try to save it and just sand scuff it. If you try to take off poly :nono... you usually have to sand it off, then you would have to carefull of distorting the contours.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Joel

10. JimH

JimH Member

Thanks man - that helps a lot. You do see a chisel, but it's blunt. Actually this guitar is a cheap as cheap junk yard special that I'm planning to practice finishing on - rather than good guitar. as a real cheapy the finish similar to concrete! Holy moses this stuff just will not come off - can't see anything other than heavy duty heat or chemicals even getting this stuff excitied - it's ridiculous. Thanks for your comments.