Strobostomp 2 screen failure

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jhumber, Jan 31, 2008.

1. jhumber

jhumber Member

My strobostomp 2 is about 8 months old. It's being powered by a Diago Powerstation (that definitely isn't faulty as it's powering all my other pedals ok).

When I turn on the strobostomp the screen is fine, but after about 5 seconds the display has faded to nothing.

Has anyone any experience with getting these repaired? I just phoned Watford Valves (the shop in the UK where I bought it) and they weren't interested - told me to contact Peterson directly. What channels have you guys (particular in the UK) gone through?

To be honest, if it's failed, I'm not sure I want another one(!). Any suggestions as to what else is a great floor tuner pedal?

Cheers
    Jordan.

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I have the 1st version and the screen fades really bad with a low battery. Have you tried your unit with a battery? Also find a good multimeter and check the output of your power source.

3. poj

poj Member

Same as mine.
    I use Turbo Tuner now.

4. jhumber

jhumber Member

Yeah - I've tried other power supplies. I think it's borked :-(

5. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'd call peterson and voice your discontent. Sometimes you can get lucky and companies will repair things like this. It might be worth a shot.

6. chaz

chaz Member

ditto on the battery thing. shouldn't that still be under warranty?

7. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

8. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Mine won't tolerate anything over 9 volts or it turns into a big square LED. It's fine with batteries or a REGULATED power supply. Strange.

9. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

There was a recall for this reason. Call John at Peterson and they will get a new one out for you.

10. silverface63

silverface63 Member

Crap, I just got one for Christmas but, no problems yet. I guess we'll see.

11. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I know this will sound stupid but are you sure you plugged it into the correct place? I plugged my SS1 into the One Spot the other day and it started to wash out exactly like you said. Turns out I had it plugged into the output side connector (used to power other pedals). Any chance you did that?

12. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I suspect your power suply. Daisy chaining pedals like that is a recipe for failure in my book. It may work sometimes, but not all the time. How's it work with the Peterson power suply? With batteries? If it's the only pedal being powered?

13. pear gage

pear gage Member

Where did you hear about a recall?
    I can find no mention of it other than your post.

14. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

All SS2s in stock the last several months are fine. When the recall was issued, we sent all the SS2s in inventory back. Very few have this problem, but if it does they will fix you up.

15. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

Same thing happenned to mine. I contacted customer service, sent it back, and they repaired it.

16. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

from what I heard---Unlike some companies, Peterson heard of screen failure on a few units from a batch and being the best in the business like they are they recalled the whole batch from distributors/retailers.

THAT is top of the line manufacturing. They nipped it in the bud and for that there have been very few problems! AMEN to that.

17. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I'm pretty sure mine's the original SS, not the 2. Did they have problems with those too?
    Thanks!

18. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

19. jhumber

jhumber Member

Thanks for all the answers guys - it's going for repair. Hopefully they (Peterson) know what caused the problem and they'll fix it in a way that means it won't happen again. Shame about the reliability issues, because it's an otherwise fantastic tuner.

20. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I know for a fact that if you contact them directly, they will take care of you.