Strobostomp 2 vs TU2 - I didn't expect this...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jhumber, Mar 5, 2008.

1. jhumber

jhumber Member

I've just got my Strobostomp 2 back from repair, and it works great again. Kudos to Peterson for repairing it so quickly (2 week turnaround from UK to USA and back) and without any questions asked.

So, just before ripping my TU2 off the pedalboard after it's brief return, I thought I'd test them both.

I tuned my strat using the TU2 first, using all the recommended Peterson tips:
    - neck pickup
    - tone rolled off most of the way
    - plucked with finger
    - not touching headstock while tuning.

I got the guitar as close as a could using the TU2, then plugged the guitar into the Peterson.

It was *bang* on. And I don't mean "moving a bit". I mean, every string had the Strobostomp display completely still. To say I was surprised is an understatement.

End result, I can't justify keeping the Peterson on the board. This certainly isn't a bashing - it's a fantastic tuner and they've proven themselves as a great company for customer service. But my trusty old TU2 has really come up trumps. It's staying on the board (at least til I get to try out a Korg Pitchblack :) ).

NB: It's been a bad boutique month for my pedalboard, first the Crunchbox blows me away and replaces a "boutique" pedal, now the TU2 has kicked off the Peterson....

2. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

That's a real interesting observation.

I went from a TU-2 to a StroboStomp and back again twice before moving to a DTR-2000. I've been thinking about buying a StroboRack, but now...:confused:

3. putz1337

putz1337 Member

i love my tu-2. it powers my other pedals and tunes for half the price of a peterson.

4. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

I have a SS1 and think the poor quality jacks are inexcusable. I'd sell the pedal but I'd be too embarrassed to try and explain to potential buyers that signal noise and sometimes dying altogether is 'normal' for an expensive tuner. I plan to put it in a loop true bypass loop. I wish I'd saved my money...

5. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I needed a tuning pedal. I was looking at the TU-2, but got this great deal on the Peterson Strobo 1 -- discontinued and the box had been trashed at GC up in Kirkland. So it didn't come in the box with instructions, and that made it about $20 more than the TU-2. It became a no-brainer. Otherwise I probably would have gotten the TU-2, but how is the TU-2 when it comes to setting intonation?

Never noticed a problem with the jacks.

6. eru

eru Member

I was almost tempted to get one. Odly, the GC near me has strobostomps. I might compare one to my trusty korg handheld tuners (that I built into a pedal). Actually, I have some time before chapter, so i might do that this afternoon. But, I'm not convinced they're better, especially after this.

7. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Jhumber- That doesn't mean the TU-2 will read that way every time... it's accuracy is +/- 3 cents, which means it has the potential to be spot on or up to 6 cents off.

Julia343- Keep the StoboStomp; it's much better for setting intonation than a TU-2, since it's more accurate (+/- .1 cent). I've got 2 SS's & I've never had a problem with the jacks.

8. es125luv

es125luv Member

I think Analogman can mod the VER 1 pedals with upgraded jacks...

9. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

TU 2 not really good for intonation. I picked up a used Peterson for intonation. Otherwise, TU2 is a good one.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just to clarify, the SS also "powers other pedals" (though this too is misleading...it doesn't power anything, it simply provides a daisy or parallel output for continuing the power on to other pedals).

And just for balance, the SS can be setup for TB, the TU-2 cannot. I have and like both, but the SS is WAY better in my opinion for tuning, intonation, etc.

Not to say the TU-2 is a dog, I like it too, but for my uses I notice it is not as accurate. I like the "sweetened" tuning on the SS also. I do know that the SS has quality issues with its jacks, though I have never had a problem with mine.

Contrary to many others experiences apparently, I find I can tune much more quickly on the SS, and when I do it without being able to hear it, when I turn on it is in tune. The TU-2 sometimes especially with the G string, I still need to tweak when done.

I couldn't care less if I was the only one that liked the SS, etc, I have no stock in Peterson...just sharing one persons experiences.

11. 205

205 Senior Member

I'm going to sound like an a--hole but here it goes...

If you can't tune your guitar or intonate with a TU-2 YOU are doing something wrong!

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

The fact is, the SS is more accurate. If one needs it or not...dunno, but you can put the blame on us, it doesn't matter, fact is the SS is spot on, the TU-2 I sometimes do have to adjust after using, especially when not able to hear it while tuning.

13. jhumber

jhumber Member

Like i said at the start of the thread, this isnt Peterson-bashing - I agree that the strobostomp is incredibly accurate for setting intonation (I'll miss it for that alone).

However did all our heroes get by without tuner pedals on their boards? ;-)

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

For a while when I first started using tuners, I found I got better also at tuning without tuners....but lately have noticed I seem to have gotten more and more dependant on them. When I am without a tuner, I get a little anxious and am never 100% sure I am in tune...it's weird.

I've been playing for 35+ years. When I first started out, specially if I had taken a toke, tuning could take unbearably long...

Been some years since those days though, so that isn't it.

15. stonevibe

stonevibe Member

I have a Korg DT-10 on my board, but to be honest my main tuner for seting up is an old C-DAT Rhino tuner. Generally I use my ear to get things perfect though.

I cannot justify a Peterson and can see why the Boss stuff is so popular. The price and build quality of the Boss stuff seems way better in my experience.

I cannot see any real benefit in the Peterson in a 'live' situation over the Boss unit.

Just my opinion.

16. vintage66

vintage66 Member

As a string bender, the TU-2 is fine for me. A couple good bends and it's not going to be exact anymore anyway-not to say the TU-2's not accurate-but the lack of a needle makes getting precise tunings a little more difficult than if you had, say a TU-8, which is what I used for intonation-it stays home while the TU-2 stays on my board. I didn't know the Peterson's had jack problems. One of the reasons I went with the Boss over the DT-10, which gets great reviews, is that I know the Boss will withstand a nuclear blast-the Korg I just didn't know about since it was pretty new and that type switch can be a problem. The "strobe" setting on the Boss just gets me dizzy though-I just used the arrows setting.

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Again..having used both, I like them both, but the SS to me is the absolute best, quickest, truest, and easiest...for me.

That said, another thing I mentioned, TB settable (if you want, can also use a buffer) on the SS is a huge thing for me, as I may well want a buffer in my signal chain but I sure as shooting don't want my tuner supplying it. At least not without a way to defeat it and make it TB if I choose to.

So I end up using a small AB box to remove the TU-2 (I have one SS one TU-2, each on different pedalboards) from the path when not tuning.

The jack problem doesn't worry me. Worst case, if I ever did get problems with it, I'd probably just solder a permanent input cable direct to it. Problem solved.

The other thing...I don't know why so many of us get "raggy" about tuners. It's pretty funny really, the most heat I ever see (and I just deleted an answer to the person two up, where I realized I was getting out of hand. I got temporarily miffed at someone who apparently hadn't tried EITHER pedal mentioning how he didn't see any reason one would be better than another. I see a reason for me, and have both, but then I realized..."so what" I also have passed judgement on pedals I have never used just from the user interface design, etc.) is not Od's (not even Klons, or Bad monkeys), or Delay, or anything else, the most heat I think I see generated is always from tuners...

WHY would that be I wonder? And why do I even care, as I know what I prefer, and someone else is perfectly free to find the opposite works for them? SO...it's a little weird.

18. hawaii5_o

hawaii5_o Member

I switched from the TU-2 to the Strobo 2 because the BOSS was just sucking too much tone. It was pretty bad, to the point where my fuzzes were gating. I never had a problem with the intonation of it though.

19. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I could see you getting a TU2 that accurate, but it would take some extrapolation in your tuning. You would tune a string a little sharp, then a little flat, back and forth and get a "feel" to where the mid point of the tuner rotation would be between flat and sharp and tune up to that point.

The TU2 will tell you it's tuned at that point, and it may be within the accuracy of the SS. But you can tweek the string a TAD sharper and the TU2 LEDs will still show it's in tune while the SS should show it's sharp.

The SS will allow you to get to that point more easily, just tune up to the point that the display stops moving. If you go too far, back it off again and try again. No need to go back and forth and estimate.

This estimation method is not as easily done with intonation so the SS is a lot better to use for that.

Of course it's close enough for Rock and Roll with either one!