StroboStomp=buffer+

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by OOG, Jul 26, 2006.

1. OOG

OOG Member

is the buffer in the SS as good as all these dedicated buffers?
    maybe better 'cause it's a tuner/power supply too?

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

... probably not at the same time as when using it like you said, but with an A/B box, you could use it for tuning your guitar and as a DI box for your acoustic w/ pickups probably... I love mine. Don't know much about the buffer.

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

When it is in buffer mode, will it mute the output when tuning?

4. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

ya got me curious too...
    I think it can be set as an 'always' on, and then it is buffered, in some fashion?

5. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I think in buffer mode it's always on, but that stepping on the footswitch will still allow you to be silent. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought I read in the user's manual.

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I second DocRock's post. However, I've heard the buffer in the SS is a tonesucking monster.

7. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

tonesucking monster doesn't sound like what I'd want at this point.

8. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

That's correct, and yes, the buffer DOES suck tone.

Cheers,

CJ

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

When running a mono setup, I will use the extra dry output of one of my stereo pedals earlier in the chain (so far the Deluxe Moon Phaser) out to the strobostomp and run its output to the "detector" in of my Boss HR-2 so it gets the tracking right... I wonder if I'm losing some of the effect with that phaser that way if it is expecting the "inverted" dry signal to be audible as well and runs differently than it does when there is only the wet output in use..... ???

10. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

The buffer in the SS sucks, period. (Otherwise, I love the SS.)

I'm using an Axess BS-2 buffer, which is far superior to the SS's. In fact, I'm using the BS-2 in a signal chain of 13 pedals and, amazingly, there is now virtually NO tonal loss now, thanks to that buffer. I've done a lot of AB tests, using a true bypass looper. Of course, the buffer changes the sound slightly and there is a *very* slight loss of tonal quality, but on the whole, to me, the BS-2 is friggin' magic.

11. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

+1,000,000 on the Axess BS2. I'm running 5 TB pedals (my strobostomp is in TB mode because it's buffer stinks poops), including the new MDEQ, and I hear virtually no tone loss between my board and plugging straight into the amp. Best pedal I've bought so far!! :dude

12. erksin

erksin Member

Uh - no.

The Axess BS-2 sounds MUCH better than the buffer in the SS, as does the buffers in the MDEQ, HotCake, Jacques Prisoner, and LR Baggs ParaDI. The SS buffer sounds awful, IMNSHO...

13. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

I've got a hotcake arriving today- I'm interested to see how the buffer sounds. I'm running about 10 true bypass pedals, and I'm planning on putting the hotcake at the beginning of the chain right after my fuzz. Will that suffice or do I need the BS-2?

I've heard mixed opinions about the TU-2 buffer, but I don't think its happening for me - still quite a bit of tone loss. Time to get it out of the chain. Hopefully the hotcake is all I need. Any thoughts?

14. erksin

erksin Member

The HotCake may be enough - it's a high quality buffer in there...

15. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've never used my Strobostomp as a buffer. I leave it first in the chain and it has NO impact on my tone, which is fantastic.

16. landru64

landru64 Member

with the SS in true bypass mode, how many of you get a pop when you switch the unit on and off?

17. erksin

erksin Member

I don't...

18. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

With electric guitars, I run the Strobo first in line, in true bypass mode. The switch does indeed produce an audible 'pop' when engaged. I route all my gainers through a BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor, which also offers a dead-silent mute switch function. So, I quickly engage that pedal's mute before engaging the Strobo. It's an extra move, but I've gotten fairly quick at it, and it's unobtrusively silent.

In buffered mode, the Strobo's 'pop' is significantly diminished. For a while, I was using the Strobo at my acoustic-electric jobs, as a sort of Swiss Army knife utility box (tuner and DI). I found it to be problematic for the dual applications (as used as a DI, the Strobo is configured for buffered mode), so I returned to using a dedicated DI, and my live signal is once again robust. Also, as a DI, the Strobo is last in line, en route to the PA. I use a few tone shapers with acoustic-electric instruments - delay, boost, EQ, occasionally a compressor. What I've found is that the Strobo definitely wants to be early in the chain, with regard to "reading" the notes quickly and accurately. It was at times unpredictable in this configuration, and I don't have any sense of humor for such at live jobs. Conversely, it's Johnny-on-the-spot, as placed first (or early) in the chain for my electric guitar rigs.

In the ongoing quest to simplify the live acoustic-electric rig, I've ordered a ZOOM A2.1U pedal (where the heck is that thing, it should've been here by now?!). The appeal here is once again the potential Swiss Army knife thing; DI, tuner, plethora of 32 bit effects, expression ped. If I can get it to do DI; tune silently, quickly, and accurately; and function as an expression pedal for volume level and/or delay repeats/mix, without raping my tone and response, it'll pay for itself many times over. I've never bonded with multi-function digital devices, so we'll see. If it doesn't fly, it's back to the caveman analog approach for me.