• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Strobostomp HD Screen Protector

Ole Tin Ear

I got mine yesterday. It went on perfectly. I think the fact that I still had the plastic on the screen and pulled it off to install the protector helped mitigate any dust issues.
Now if only Eventide and Boss would follow Peterson's lead I could pull the plastic off of my H9 and MD500.

Funky Monkey

Gold Supporting Member
Installed mine last night. tl;dr, it went well.

Two thumbs up. I got my pedal brand new in August 2019 for reference purposes if that makes a difference for anything. Trivial but it looks better now…it masks most of the existing swirl marks when looking straight on. And there is also no glare anymore at the angle I normally look at it from while standing. Nice and unexpected. I’ve used mine quite a bit and actually gave it its first scar when removing the original plastic cover because that’s just my luck. That is to say, I was always careful handling it but never compelled to avoid casual contact since it was already scuffed before I even plugged it in. It looked used. Now it looks new.

The “dust absorber” confused me but that doesn’t take much here. I thought it may have been part of the packaging, like silica gel or something. But I didn’t need/use it anyway. I used the alcohol pad, then wiped several times with the microfiber cloth, and did a final inspection to make sure there wasn’t any visible dust, lint, or grease/fingerprint marks. Peeled off the plastic from the new glass and placed one of the narrow edges along the bottom edge of the LCD and let it fall by itself the rest of the way down the screen. Watched as the “air bubble” worked its way outward to the top edge without manually applying any pressure to it at all. Looks flawless.

And then I dropped my Ebow on it from knee-high because, as above, that’s just my luck. No damage to anything. It may not have damaged the stock screen from that distance, either, but I’m glad I didn’t find out the hard way. I’ll chalk that up to money well spent for the intended purpose.

Quad4

The dust absorber should just be a sticker which you dab on the screen to remove dust.

Terry Hayes

Thanks John! I just spoke with Sue at your HQ, she helped me troubleshoot things, and she thinks my LCD protector may be a little warped or not flat, causing the screen protector to have bubbles. She's sending out an LCD protector, and a new screen protector. I'm sure I'll get this right next time.

Also, the screen protector comes back off rather easily, in case anyone needs to adjust things during install. I'll report back on Monday when the parts arrive.

Thanks again!
Did you get the replacement parts yet? I am curious to see if you will be able to get better results. I ended up with very small bubbles in 3 corners after trying a few different ways to finesse the protector into place. I have a fairly low serial # tuner as well.

CloneTone

Did you get the replacement parts yet? I am curious to see if you will be able to get better results. I ended up with very small bubbles in 3 corners after trying a few different ways to finesse the protector into place. I have a fairly low serial # tuner as well.
Work has kept me away from everything for a bit. It looks like I needed to send a PM to John with my address, I had spoken with Sue, but I've not received anything yet, it was probably a miscommunication on my part. I'll follow up today and report back.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
I have two HD stomps and bought two screen protectors. The first install left me basically where you are with one corner that is not maintaining contact with the screen. That was the second attempt. The first left some pretty large voids in a couple of spots. They wouldn't come out so I pulled the screen off and got a better result the second time. But I can see no reason why I still have a void. The second protector is still in the box. I guess I am waiting and seeing.

Terry Hayes

I have two HD stomps and bought two screen protectors. The first install left me basically where you are with one corner that is not maintaining contact with the screen. That was the second attempt. The first left some pretty large voids in a couple of spots. They wouldn't come out so I pulled the screen off and got a better result the second time. But I can see no reason why I still have a void. The second protector is still in the box. I guess I am waiting and seeing.
Thanks for the feedback. I installed and reinstalled mine a few times trying to get a better result. The only thing I can figure is that the corners of the protector now won't lay flat due to my repeated prying them up. Either that or the Strobostomp screen itself was not perfectly flat. I think I can live with it though.

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
This sucked. I have a brand new pedal. Out of box. Maybe a week. Tried the protector and I could not get the bubbles out. Tried multiple attempts. Nothing worked. Really frustrated as I spent a good hour trying to get it right. Could not get the bubbles out of the top corners. And I was super careful.

@Stomp what I am doing wrong? It shouldn’t be this hard.

If this cost any more than $9.99, or was taxed and had a cost to ship it, I would've ignored it, but that's a small price to pay to protect the best feature of a $140 pedal. A fully protected one costs $150 now. I can deal with that.
When you say a fully protected one costs $150, do you mean that they’re selling them with a preinstalled screen protector for the same cost as the pedal and protector separately? If so I might have to just get one like that— the screen protectors are easy enough to install, but if they’ll do the installation for free, might as well save myself the trouble. Was actually planning on getting a strobostomp for my acoustic board this month anyway

DrGonzo

Platinum Supporting Member
I am a huge Peterson fan. I have a Strobo Rack tuner. I have three Peterson Strobostomp HD tuners. I love them. I saw the announcement about the screen protectors and assumed they would be just as awesome as their tuners. Wrong. I installed the first one and had a giant bubble in the middle of the screen, and I was extremely careful installing it. Luckily I got it to come off. Then for some brain dead reason, I decided to try again. This time I had giant bubbles on three corners. It looked terrible. Of course this time I could not get it off. It was REALLY stuck on there.

I called Peterson customer service. I emailed them pictures of the bubbles on both installation attempts. They were nice, but basically told me to try anything I could to get it off and they would replace the entire screen assembly, if necessary. Apparently the screen protectors were spec'd at such a tight tolerance that any deviation from a perfectly flat screen or an absolutely perfect install will cause bubbles. The screen on my tuner was obviously not perfectly flat. It was never an issue until I tried to install the screen protector. I scratched the tuner and the screen protector shattered into a ton of tiny glass fragments, but I ultimately got it removed after a lot of effort. What a frustrating experience. Peterson refunded me for all three screen protectors I had purchased and the last two went into the garbage.

Based upon my conversations with customer service, I think they know they screwed up on this product. Once again, they were super nice and were willing to replace whatever damage the protector caused, but what a frustrating experience. I scratched the paint on the side of my tuner and wasted an hour of my life trying to remove it. Not a great experience.

Last edited:

CloneTone

When you say a fully protected one costs $150, do you mean that they’re selling them with a preinstalled screen protector for the same cost as the pedal and protector separately? If so I might have to just get one like that— the screen protectors are easy enough to install, but if they’ll do the installation for free, might as well save myself the trouble. Was actually planning on getting a strobostomp for my acoustic board this month anyway
Sorry, no, you have to install the protector manually ATM. I'd definitely pay for one to come installed from the factory.

Ok here's the update: I received a new Screen Protector, and a new LCD protector today. Here's the process and outcome.

I played with my first Screen Protector, and got it to sit very close to bubble free, just two corners - I should've left well enough alone:

I figured I'd try to install the new LCD protector, it's difficult to get to:

Remove LCD Protector, was completely dust free in there:

Have to scrape the old LCD protector glue off:

This is with the new LCD Protector and the new Screen Protector, before being installed back in bezel, notice it's bubble free:

Install in metal casing with bezel:

Remove Screen Protector:

Test ok:

To me it seems that the Screen Protector is a bit too large for the metal bezel, and that's what's causing this issue, and the bubbles, not a warped LCD protector.

Avoid changing the LCD Protector if you can, as soon as I removed the old LCD protector, dust was introduced under there. Maybe a revised and slightly smaller Screen Protector will fix this in the future.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry, no, you have to install the protector manually ATM. I'd definitely pay for one to come installed from the factory.

Ok here's the update: I received a new Screen Protector, and a new LCD protector today. Here's the process and outcome.

I played with my first Screen Protector, and got it to sit very close to bubble free, just two corners - I should've left well enough alone:

I figured I'd try to install the new LCD protector, it's difficult to get to:

Remove LCD Protector, was completely dust free in there:

Have to scrape the old LCD protector glue off:

This is with the new LCD Protector and the new Screen Protector, before being installed back in bezel, notice it's bubble free:

Install in metal casing with bezel:

Remove Screen Protector:

Test ok:

To me it seems that the Screen Protector is a bit too large for the metal bezel, and that's what's causing this issue, and the bubbles, not a warped LCD protector.

Avoid changing the LCD Protector if you can, as soon as I removed the old LCD protector, dust was introduced under there. Maybe a revised and slightly smaller Screen Protector will fix this in the future.
Thanks for the heads up. I WON'T be doing that.

CloneTone

Some of the users here had no trouble with their install. That leads me to suspect some of the metal casing bezels are slightly larger than others, maybe by a fraction of a millimeter, mine being slightly too large to allow the Screen Protector to sit completely flush.

For those of you with the bubble problem after install, is your StrobostompHD one of the first made, or is it a recent purchase?

goldtrek

Silver Supporting Member
Just installed mine. There’s a pizza slice-shaped bubble on the lower left corner of mine I can’t get out. Kinda annoying but I’ll probably leave well enough alone. Hopefully it will remind me of pizza and not a bubble.

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
I don't get how Peterson released this product with so many issues. They are sending me a replacement. But my guess is that it will happen again. Unless they had a bad batch of protectors.

goldtrek

Silver Supporting Member
CloneTone, I just noticed your first picture above when you said you should have left well enough alone. Mine looks a lot like that, slightly bigger wedge shaped bubble, but exact same shape and same spot. I don’t think it’s worth the hassle or risk for me trying to replace or fix it.

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
The bubbles on mine were the upper corners.

Has anyone had a successful install?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom